Endless ?'s about my septic/plumbing/drainage

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigwill5112

Reaction score
Lots of things I'm trying to figure out here but let's start off with one question at a time. What is the purpose of alternating lateral fields? Is there one reason or multiple that could be at play. Moved into house 3 years back and was told I should be proactive about septic stuff so I had someone come clean it. He told me I had alternating fields and that I should turn the bull valve every 6 months with a key. Everyone I tell is like WTF is that. I've turned it but wanting to understand more about this.

I have been reading and learning on septic issues for the past 2 months.. I may be wrong but I believe that if you change to another field that it gives the other field time to "rest/recover". I am looking at adding a 2nd field to my system for this reason. (Mine is flooded/overloaded). You are actually lucky you have a 2nd one.

I have been reading and learning on septic issues for the past 2 months.. I may be wrong but I believe that if you change to another field that it gives the other field time to "rest/recover". I am looking at adding a 2nd field to my system for this reason. (Mine is flooded/overloaded). You are actually lucky you have a 2nd one.

That is correct.

Back