Bath Sink Remodel Questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipePig101

Reaction score
To please the wife, I'm installing a double sink vanity-replacing a single. I'm also installing a 60" recessed tri-view mirror/med cabinet. As you can imagine, I have to re-route all of the utilities around it: water, electrical, vent and install new drains.

I'm wondering if there is any reason that most sink drains seem to exit the wall at a slight angle. I can put mine whereever I want at this point (before drywall). I believe that it would be best to be offset the wall drain by a few inches from the actual sink drain to make it easier to set up a trap.

The other question is I am running 1/2" copper and planned on using compression shut-off valves (that's what it had). Is this the preferred valve for copper?

By trade I am an idustrial maintennce guy and more of an electrician than a residential plumber. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I always aim for about 1 1/2" off center with the drain line stubout, to make hooking up the Ptrap easier. And I try to make the stubout straight.:)

Bring the vent as high as possible before offsetting sideways. There is a code requirment that the vent be at least 6" above the rim of the sink before it goes horizontal.

You should be fine using compression stops on copper.

Hey thanks for the response PF. I guess that I'm on the right track then. I brought the vent up to just about counter height before going horz.

That's about what I was thinking on my drain stubs.

I already bought the valves, The contractor guys before me did not do the best job and a bunch of other stuff and so I wanted to be sure.

:cool:

I ran into a problem last night with this project while running the 1/2" copper lines. They are coming out of the attic and I'm running the lines around a large recessed mirror and down on the left side to feed the faucets. I planned to try and sneak the right sink lines around the 1 1/2", central drain/vent line and found out this is not possible in a 4" wall. What was I thinking!

My question is: Can I just stub out & run dual-line shut off valves on the left sink and then use braided steel lines to feed the right sink. Is this a "funky fix" or is it a common practice when converting single sink to a double sink vanity.

I can usually sneak 1/2" lines past an 1 1/2" or even a 2" drain line in 2X4 wall. Sometimes it might require a bit of creative piping, but usually if I plan and drill my holes correctly, it isn't to much of an issue.

That said, the answer to your question is, it depends. The farther the distance to the other lav bowl, the less likely I would be to run supply line to it. The reason being, you might have some problems with shaking and rattling supply lines when you turn the faucet on and off. Of course, you could find some type of clamps to secure the lines to the back of the cabinet to prevent this.

Also be sure that where you're stubbing out isn't in the way of the drawers of the vanity. You'll be bummed if it is.

Latest posts

Back