How to remove valve stem in single handle bathtub faucet.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wndrwmn67

Reaction score
I am in desperate need of finding out how to remove the valve stem in my faucet. This is the bathtub faucet, single handle, and it will no longer shut the water off at all when you push the knob back in. I have everything taken off, but I am unable to remove the valve stem. There is no exposed hex nut and I have no way of knowing how to get to it as there is some type of brass clamp type of thing on the end of it. It has two grooves (notches) and as you can see from the picture, a little tab sticking up through the top notch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

plumbing 003.jpg

That is held in place with a c clip, which from the picture is removed by prying a screwdriver in from the bottom. With all the calcium, you might want to let it sit a while after a liberal amount of white vinegar or a chemical remover such as CLR. BTW, that is a great close up pic!

Thank you. With a little researching, I have discovered that it is a brass retainer nut and I was able to pull that out. However, I am still unable to pull the valve stem out. Do you think it will come out easily once I let it soak in the white vinegar or is there another tool that I need to use? Thanks again for your help!

Many pull straight out, others need to be unscrewed or turned a quarter turn. Not being familiar with that specific stem, I would eliminate the calcium build up and try all of the above options. Once you figure it out, please let us know!

Oh my. After much cleaning with the white vinegar, I was finally able to pull this out. I hope I've done the right thing. It pulled out fairly easily. Did I miss any parts? I know this was probably best left to the professionals, but I'm a single Mom and I've just spent a fortune getting my kids back in school and didn't want to be stuck with an expensive repair bill on top of everything else. Please advise.

Thank you!

plumbing 004.jpg

Take the entire valve stem to a local Ace or big box hardware store, and attempt to match it up completely. If you have success in finding it, Just reinstall and provided the inside of the valve is OK, it should be fine.

You truly ARE a wonderwoman, no discussion needed. That looks like a REALLY old Moen valve, probably from before 1990 or so. After seeing the first picture, I was about to tell you all about a Moen cartridge puller, which I was positive that you would need to be able to pull the cartridge. I am amazed that you pulled it without one.

This looks older than any I can recollect working on, but do shine a flashlight inside of the valve body and check for any rubber seals or parts thereof that may have been left behind. If anything like that is in there, you will need to remove it before installing the new cartridge.

Best of luck to you, and post back if you have any other questions.

Hello and thank you both so much for your responses! I had to laugh...I just fixed my dryer a couple of weeks ago (installed a new thermistor) and I've been known to get under my car with a torch to replace the exhaust system. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! LOL!

I took the cartridge to the hardware store and they had it with the entire assembly. I did buy the Moen cartridge puller and I am in the process of seeing if I can get it pulled out (outer body). The man at the hardware store said it can be difficult sometimes so not to kill myself over it. I'll post as soon as I get any results! Thanks again!

Last edited:
I was unable to pull out the old body and needless to say, ended up breaking the stem puller tool, too! Darn my luck! I tried removing the new stem from the assembly I bought, but I didn't have any luck getting it out, even using that new tool. Looks like I'll be calling a plumber afterall! Thanks again for all of the help!

:)

Well, being as persistent as I am, I was bound and determined to get this darn thing out and I wanted to replace the entire piece since I had purchased it new.

I had tried the tap thread and bolt method that I saw on the internet (they make it look sooooo easy), but it did not work for me. The bolt went so far and would just continually turn, not catching anything it seemed.

Before I left for work this morning, I sprayed the entire insides of the cartridge with vinegar and it sat all day long. I decided to give it one more go when I got home so I tried the bolt again and got a hammer. I used the claw end to grab hold of the bolt and gently gave it a tug. I was so excited because the cartridge moved forward and with a little more effort, it was free.

Don't get too excited yet! When I pulled it out, I realized that the last maybe 3/4" of the darn cartridge had broken off and was still inside my pipe! Why me? LOL!

Anyway, I am about to go get ANOTHER cartridge puller and see if I can get that last tiny piece out and get this job done once and for all!

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes! Thanks for all of the help. I appreciate it more than you could know!

Deana

Anyone need any help picking out lottery numbers? LOL! I'm not exactly the LUCKIEST person I know! :D

old and new.jpg

You don't know how much we are rooting for you to complete the job without the aid of a plumber. Hang in there and keep your persistance!

BTW, you are getting the flag dirty!

Last edited:
Thank you havasu and believe me, NO ONE will be happier than me to get this darn thing done! I appreciate your vote of confidence.

I actually took that picture on my mouse pad. Guess it might be time for a new one of those, too, but all in due time. This plumbing issue must be resolved first!

Thanks again!

Deana

I am doing the happy dance right now! I called the hardware store yesterday to inform them of the issues I had with the cartridge puller and the man told me I could bring it back for another one, but he wouldn't have it in the store until today. So I went to go get it after work, but ended up staying at my parents' house for dinner so didn't get home until about 20 min. ago.

I decided to give the new tool a try, but wasn't sure I would have success with the way the cartridge broke off inside of the pipe. It was at an angle and there was only one hole left in the cartridge for the tool to grip on to. I put it in and could feel the piece spinning around. I could also feel it grip something, but the moment I turned it, it would just start spinning again. I was just about to give up when I could feel it grab something and get a little tougher to turn. I very slowly held onto the tool and pulled it out very gently. Lo and behold! the broken off piece came flying out and into the tub!! I was so happy and excited!

I slipped in the new cartridge and was so anxious to give it a try, but wouldn't you know, I could not find the darn knob! This kind of stuff always happens to me! LOL! I decided to go ahead and screw the part in without the darn knob and give it a whirl. I ran down to the basement to turn the water back on and yelled at my son to tell me if it was leaking or not. He didn't answer, so I ran upstairs to see that it wasn't leaking at all. I pulled it out (see pic to see what I mean about not having the knob) and it worked like a charm. Then pushed it back in and found that it didn't leak one single drop!

Whew! This job is done! Now to get that new mouse pad, and find the darn knob for this thing. As for now, I'm happy with it even if it does look a bit "ghetto fabulous!"

Thanks so much for all of the help! I appreciate it so much and it saved me a bundle!

Deana

P. S. I do realize that my tub needs a good cleaning after all of this, but I am exhausted and it can wait until tomorrow! :p

plumbing 008.jpg

Congratulations for a job well done! Just because your project is done, nothing says you can't stick around and keep us company!

Sorry I'm a slow chiming in. I don't install the brass Moen cartridges when I replace the one you just pulled out. I use the plastic 1225b. The next time you have to change it you will have a repeat experience.
You don't need a special tool to pull the plastic one out. The brass cartridge bonds to the valve body and that's what makes them hard to pull out.
I had 2 different plumbers at my shop end up having to replace the entire valve. Their "Pasco" tool once inserted in to the core locks in and unless the core comes out the tool is permanently locked in.
Back at the shop I pulled one of the cores out of the valve. The other one I had to slice open the valve body to remove the core to recover the tool.

The Moen cartridge is known for being one the easiest and fastest cartridges to change out. Unless it's a brass one and it's been in there for a long time.

This is the tool I mentioned and personnally use myself. I found this listed in the tool section of this forum.
Pasco Moen cartridge puller

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment, but as I stated before, the job is done and I'll be darn if I'm puilling it all out to do again! I'm sure the repair will last as long as I need it to considering I don't plan on living here forever.

My tool did get stuck, too, but I continually worked, and tugged, and pulled until I got the darn thing back out.

I guess that's just a chance I'll have to take!

It's done and working beautifully!

Deana

Oh...and f.y.i. I tried another plumbing project today. I was so excited to find a kitchen sprayer the other day, brand-new, still in the package at a yard sale. My previous one was black and the water just dribbled out rather than spray. The new one is white and matches everything else in my kitchen. The repair was going well, until the last moment where I overtightened and cracked the new sprayer! Luckily, this is one that won't be too expensive to repair! You never know if you don't try! That's MY motto!

Deana

That is something I do way too often. These days, everything is either cheap plastic or such a low grade pot metal that you really have to resist overtightening too much. The usual rule of thumb, especially if there is a rubber washer involved is to connect until the parts touch, turn another 1/4 turn and then check for leaks. If it still leaks, try another 1/4 turn and check again. It's very tedious, but necessary.

Usually with things like sprayer hoses and the like that utilize either a flat rubber washer or an O-ring as a seal, hand tight is as tight as necessary.

Latest posts

Back