in floor heat

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishernut

Reaction score
I want to install in floor heat in a portion of my barn. I'd like to use an electric, tanked heater and a circulation pump with pex type hose beneath a slab on grade.
Can I run an automotive anti-freeze through a typical household, 5 gallon heater? Or is there something else better to run through it?

THanks.

There are some good reasons for using a non-toxic anti-freeze in heating boilers. Usually heating system antifreeze products use propylene glycol. :)

fair warning, to do what you want, you will have to crank the heater t stat up.
be prepared to buy heating elements cause you will be burning them out rather quickly

i also suggest, buying a aqua state to control the pump

strap it to the return side of the loop before it enters the bottom of the tank

046224005803.jpg

fair warning, to do what you want, you will have to crank the heater t stat up.
be prepared to buy heating elements cause you will be burning them out rather quickly

i also suggest, buying a aqua state to control the pump

strap it to the return side of the loop before it enters the bottom of the tank

Radiant heat under a slab should run at 110 or less.

I think I'm going to abandon this idea. It sounds like it should be used more for room heating. I just want to warm up the slab so I can occasionally work on cars with a warm floor.
Any suggestions for an economical electrical matt style floor heat system?

thanks for the responses.

Radiant heat under a slab should run at 110 or less.

With staple up tube installation, a standard thermostat works about as well as anything.
Staple up temps run high, about as high as baseboard temps do,
depending on the quality of the installation. In floor concrete can run as low as 80 and as high as 140 again depending on the insulation factor, pipe spacing, tube diameter and length of run.
Here a floor sensor is a better option for temperature control because the slab has a very slow reaction time.

I think I'm going to abandon this idea. It sounds like it should be used more for room heating. I just want to warm up the slab so I can occasionally work on cars with a warm floor.
Any suggestions for an economical electrical matt style floor heat system?

thanks for the responses.

your infloor heat idea is not a bad idea, I have used water heaters in the past in job shacks for heat.
parts and pieces up front are pricey, but it pays for itself

You might want to stay away from the electric floor mats.
I do not know your financial situation, but running them things is WAY up there

here is a thought,,just lay the tubing where you will be laying only

if that is your intent

make that meter spinn!!!!

We use these portable snow melting mats on the campus for trouble areas. You can get them in a variety of sizes. Most I've seen here are 3'x5'. They are durable, like the mats you see walking into stores for stomping off snow, and water proof.

MeltAwayTractionMat.jpg

Back