How to cut out a cast iron fitting in wall.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_David

Easily Amused
Professional
Reaction score
Started this thread so I could find it agian.
This is how I cut out and repaired cast iron santee in a wall with a metal cut off blade in a 4-1/2" grinder.

http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum...-line-water-crawl-space-oh-my-1955/#post21200

You most likely have a broken drain inside the wall.
Do you have cast Iron drain system or plastic(PVC or ABS).
I just made a similar repair a few months back.
Not for the DIYer unless you are particularly very handy at fixing things.
The one I fixed was the steel vent had rotted out just above where the kitchen drain goes into the wall.
I have pictures of how I cut it out and repaired it.
I might have already posted them here somewhere but I'll have to go look and see.
Open the wall under the sink to see if it's broken.
Take some pictures if you can. It will help a lot. Or Call a Pro and let them do it.

Last edited:
beauty. I have done this before but my method was aided by the use of 2 riser clamps. I clamped where I would install the new wye ( above and below ) and then ground the side facing me as you did. then smacked it with a ball peen to get a chunk out. I then scored the inside of the pipe a little and slammed it again with the hammer and it broke clean off where the riser clamps were.. I did this knowing that it was not an imposibility to remove drywall from the other side to access the pipe if need be ( I and home owner did not really want to open up the other wall. ) I was mostly just curious how effective this hammer method would be..... Quite.

:)

Some of this old cast iron is so fragile I'd be reluctant to hit it with a hammer.
As you could see in the photos the rest of the pipe under the house was in bad shape but the customer wasn't ready to have that replaced yet.

Adding some photos of cutting cast iron with 4-1/2" grinder w/ metal cut-off discs.

CAUTION. I took the guard off so it you attempt this be very careful and keep your fingers and face safe.

Use a respirator and eye protection. You do not want to breath that stuff

023 (640x480).jpg

024 (640x480).jpg

027 (640x480).jpg

030 (640x480).jpg

042 (640x480).jpg

You'll need to support the upper piping somehow. 2x4s and steel pipe hangers.

The easiest way to cut cast iron is with a rented snap cutter. I've had good luck with an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc. PVC replacement pipe with mission couplers finishes the project pretty easily.

Be sure to wear a mask and goggles when you cut the pipe. There will be dust and goop that you don't want to get on or in you.

How would you get the chain around the pipe to cut it? Mr David's method works the best in that situation.

Last edited:
Hey
Watch this YouTube video might be its help you to overcome this problem

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thNMNkuh59Q[/ame]

Hey
Watch this YouTube video might be its help you to overcome this problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thNMNkuh59Q

I have one of those. old pipe like that doesn't always snap. even if you go slow and turn the chain back and forth like a pipe cutter. more often you are likely to crush through a section of pipe on one side rather than a clean snap 360 degrees.

I have one of those. old pipe like that doesn't always snap. even if you go slow and turn the chain back and forth like a pipe cutter. more often you are likely to crush through a section of pipe on one side rather than a clean snap 360 degrees.
I have one of those cutters as well. And like you say, old pipe is better cut by some other method. I won't even attempt to cut horizontal pipe with it anymore, as almost 100% of the times I have tried, it has crushed it. Vertical pipe, maybe, if I have plenty of room to recut it if it crushes on me. Mostly, though, I use a sawzall or a 4 1/2" angle grinder like you use. Except mine is red.:p

I use a grinder also, the exact same method David is using.
fyi,,to cut cast on the vertical you do not use a snap chain cutter, the tool to use
IF YOU HAVE CLEARANCE

is a ratchet cuttter

490-6_RtchtPipeCut_Sz40.jpg

to cut cast pipe on the floor, you use snap cuters

590_FlipTypeLayer_PathFixes.jpg

also,,,If you are crushing your pipe, the chain is to tight
if the chain is ti loose,,you will leave a small piece uncut

What I have done in the past, is after i determine the correct link for the pipe i wish to cut
I use my grinder to make a "tic" on the side of the chain, easy to see..no guessing, every time
keeps newbiee's from crushing my damn pipe

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back