IS there a glue for ABS cracks?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djdenali

Reaction score
I tried to attach a photo of a crack I have in an ABS connection. The crack is just above a T-joint. So, to repair, it looks like I'd have to replace the T-joint itself, PLUS all three connections, and then all the couplings on the OTHER end of the pipes leaving the T-joint. It there a a simple glue to repair a somewhat minor crack in ABS piping?

IMG_0959.jpg

They sell a few different patch work items but a proper fix will be to replace the fitting to a good section of pipe and yes they make a glue specifically for abs.

Agreed. That looks like cast iron and not a minor crack. Either way, the only proper fix is to cut it out and replace it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm 99.9% sure it's ABS as everything else connected is. But now you have me wondering. So, I'll go check...
thanks.

Sorry for the long response...notice the 'abs' clearly written on the black pipe...Also, the keen eye will notice a brown deck perpendicular to this pipe--spray painted...brown specs can indeed look like rust from a lousy photo. Thanks for keeping me honest.

IMG_0967.jpg

oh, by the way...we use 2-part epoxy for the quick fix and so far, it has held.

This is a stress crack possibly caused because this is defective abs piping... Look online to see what brands and if t qualifies as defective... Seen lots in my day and look exactly like what happens to it. It will crack again until you replace it.

My recommendation is to research your piping. There was a class action lawsuit , but all the money is gone now. If your looking for a quick fix cut it out and place a fernco over the pipe and the socket.

Good luck

I knew of a class action lawsuit with PBP (polybutylpropylene) pipe material, but unaware of an ABS lawsuit.

The website is like badabs.com or something like that. Used to have the info in my truck.

What happened is back in the eighties they were melting old scrap pipe back into the pot and weakens the construction of the pipe. They were putting it in way up until the late 80s.

Website it incorrect .. But I pulled the manufacturers of the pipes in question of a google search

"Have you identified ABS pipe in your home manufactured by the defendant manufacturers (Centaur, Phoenix, Gable, Polaris, and Apache)?
If yes, include the code information, number of leak(s), location of leak(s), diameter, and color of printing on the pipe. The identified pipe must be specific as to the number of leak(s) in reference to the location of leak(s)."

Those are the only 4 that I know of the has recalls for this type of situation.

Also, I was wrong on my dates. From early 1970 to the early 90s they were
Still making this pipe... Kinda scary

If the pipe has easy access for inspection you could try first an epoxy the type for wet places.

Latest posts

Back