What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of El Camino's. There is a new show on cable TV called Diesel Brothers. Last week they added military gears and a diesel engine in an El Camino. Pretty good show.

I think the gas mileage is like 15 to 21 mph or so. I've heard I can get better mpg when I get a tonneau cover. I admit that I am sorely tempted to get one of the camper tops-- but a lightweight one that can be easily removed for rainy days when we are hauling stuff that won't fit in the cab and trunk. But we'll probably just go with a somewhat decent flat cover. I need to find out if any of them will work if I trim the rails to not block the operation of the trunk.

There was a dude who made his own cover (and made it so the rails didn't block his trunk). Ridgeline Owners Forum thread
tumblr_o1jliguxbQ1v67tnvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1jliguxbQ1v67tnvo2_1280.jpg

Here's the trunk in mine:
12646997_782350075231193_4515886950547181860_n.jpg

The navigation / backup camera display screen folds down to reveal the 6 CD changer
940931_782350245231176_75776515250153087_n.jpg

I'm planning to get an LED bulb set to replace the stock bulbs-- I think there is a kit of 19 bulbs on amazon. I'm also going to get OEM mud guards for the rear since it only came with front mud guards. They are no-drill and my friend said he can put them on for us.

I can't remember if I mentioned that there is a way to add a lock to the tailgate and link it to the powered door locks. There is a kit for just powered for like $90 and one for manual that is about $80-- but some of the members on the ridgeline forum figured out how to DIY a powered one for under $10. It involves buying an actuator for under $5 and a set of T-braces for under $3 and then using some self-tapping screws, nylon washers, speaker wires, etc. They even devised a failsafe pull cord to use in case of a lock failure). People who made their own said it lasted longer than the expensive retail one. I'm trying to figure out how to make a diy version of the combo manual/power lock because the company wants $150 to $162 for theirs and apparently the mechanism sucks.

I may make a thread about that on the garageretreat forum if I can find the appropriate section. I think some folks might like the diy discussion and figuring out how stuff works. People said the most complicated part was the wiring-- which has to be done with the retail version.

The lock would be used to add extra security to prevent people from accessing the trunk (since the tailgate has to be down or open for the trunk to be opened). The trunk does lock, but I like to do things just-in-case. And while a locked tailgate won't stop someone who is highly determined to steal stuff, it might discourage lazy criminals from stealing stuff out of the back if they find it is locked-- and it will add extra security when we get a cover. I'm seriously considering making my own cover, but I have other things that are higher priority.

We tried to register the vehicle today, but the lady at the DMV said we can't register it until we bring the title-- which is hopefully in the mail. But in the past we have been able to register it by showing proof of purchase and my friend just got his truck registered and still doesn't have the title (either it wasn't sent or it got lost in the mail) but he went to a town over an hour away. We may have to do that-- and maybe then I can get a picture of the "muffler man"-- a sort of urban scarecrow someone made out of car parts.

I admit that I always had a fascination with el caminos. I've never had one, but I love the idea of them.

If any of you are ever in my neck of the woods, you can come for a ride in the Ridgeline. It has great steering and the heated seats are very comfy in the winter. My friend's 3-year-old was refusing to get out of the truck the other day because she wanted to continue sitting on the heated seat while watching youtube videos on her mother's phone. Kid already knows how to use a smartphone better than I do.

Btw, anyone know where Brandon, Mississippi is? One of the vehicle listings for CR-Vs we were looking at was there.

On a side note, since I'm still really sore from the accident, I've been playing with google sketchup. I made a mockup of my existing laundry room and guest bathroom as well as a mockup of my plans. I'll post pics in my thread on the houserepair forum. I'm trying to add the plumbing stuff, but it's going to be sloppy since I have a hard time positioning and rotating things.

Last edited:
I was at Home Depot yesterday and parked next to one of them Honda El Caminos. I actually reached in and opened the trunk. Pretty slick if you ask me.

I was at Home Depot yesterday and parked next to one of them Honda El Caminos. I actually reached in and opened the trunk. Pretty slick if you ask me.

Was the tailgate down already then? They must have left the vehicle unlocked. The trunk is supposed to lock when the other doors are locked.

I really love the trunk. It was one of the main selling points for me (other than the excellent reviews). I wonder if other companies will find ways to get around the patent to incorporate it because it is very useful. Especially since most people don't know there is a trunk and you can put a light mat down on top to hide the seam. I put my groceries in it last night and it had plenty of room.

I need to pick some good running boards for it so Mom can get in more easily. My brother is just blown away by it and absolutely loves it and wants to buy it from my mother if she ever wants to sell it (and if he ever has enough $). I heard a rumor that a newer version of the Ridgeline might be made with the CR-V body-- so it would be a smaller truck. I think they would just have to call it something else though. Sort of like how Ford made the Ranger that is smaller than the other trucks.

I added a post about my Ridgey on the garageretreat forum and I updated my bathroom remodel thread on houserepair. No progress thus far other than playing around with sketchup.

Here's what I have so far (I forgot to draw in some things, but I got some of the essential fixture placements). Current layout vs proposed layout top view.
tumblr_o1i0bjb1621qkwd9ao5_1280.png

tumblr_o1obbnI8lv1qkwd9ao8_1280.png

I know it is a long ways off, but it makes me happy to plan it.

Edit: updated the 2nd pic to show the correct door orientation and marked approximate location of main vent.

Last edited:
Hey girl, regarding adding the LED lights on your new "El Camino", pay attention to detail. I did this on my Harley and could never get the turn signals to operate. I later found out that this kit failed to include the special capacitor (a diode looking doohickey), which was a needed component of the system because of the different amperage. Just food for thought when playing around with new vehicle accessories.

I got up especially early because yesterday evening I decided to show off and run on the treadmill for my heart doctor, which was not liked at all by my titanium knees. I am now in major pain.

Today I get to drive to la to pull a permit, than to San Diego to pull another permit than to Temecula to my current job. Gonna be a sore butt day.

I'm getting annoyed with the DMV because they changed the rules-- proof of purchase is no longer allowed to register a vehicle-- I have to bring in the title. And I'm still waiting on the title to arrive in the mail. *sigh*

I might have to call around to different DMVs to find out if any of them will let me register the truck before the temp tag expires.

I'm getting annoyed with the DMV because they changed the rules-- proof of purchase is no longer allowed to register a vehicle-- I have to bring in the title. And I'm still waiting on the title to arrive in the mail. *sigh*

I might have to call around to different DMVs to find out if any of them will let me register the truck before the temp tag expires.

we have a dmv that is run by a --------------

a person of my background runs into problems with anything you try to do.

but when I go to a different dmv, I am in and out with no problems.

HUH? I wonder why that is?

go to a different dmv.

Chris, good luck on the new truck.

received a few parts today, but the key one has an arrival date of feb. 15-19 damn china

Last edited:
I bought a new truck today. Tomorrow I have to fly 500 miles to go pick it up and drive it home.

2015 ram 3500 crew cab long bed dually cummins with that new aisin transmission. 30k tow rating. Was looking at 2016 but this one was a straggler left over on a lot and ended up being 17k less than a 16 so I jumped on it.

Frodo, I called around to the area DMVs and all said the same thing. I looked it up on the dmv website for Louisiana and now they no longer let you use proof of purchase-- you HAVE to have the title. And the sales guy called because I e-mailed his boss to complain about not having the title yet and how the battery died in less than a week. Sales guy said that it could take up to 2 months for us to get the title and that he didn't even think his dealership had the title to begin with. My mother was the one who answered the phone because if I had heard that crock of ****, I would have called him on it. It isn't legal for them to sell a vehicle to someone if they don't have the title so he's just full of it. I later got an e-mail from his supervisor saying it can take up to 6 weeks for the title to arrive.

And another kicker is, the same dealership in a different location (like 20 min away from the first dealership) is now selling the CR-V we want. They discussed the possibility of a return customer discount, but I bet that is just a hook to get us to their lot. If we do go, I'm taking my friend from Autozone with me. Not leaving mom to botch negotiations again. And I have it in an e-mail that there are no dents, dings, or any damage to the exterior body or windshield, so if I got there and there were any dings, I'd raise hell.

The weather is actually very nice today. I took the dogs for a walk for a 45 min walk. I was looking at the oak cuttings and the dark circles in the middle have gone away-- btw, if anyone knows someone who wants some fat chunks of oak, let me know and they can come out here and haul it off. I'd hate to see all of that burned.

spcwaters, those are nice lavatories!

Chris, I hope you have a safe flight and drive.

They wanted to put 20 bucks in it because it was on E. I got them up to 60 bucks in it.

Let's just say one of my mountain houses was only 10 k more than sticker price.

Yikes. What city was that located in? How did you get from the airport to the dealer? I'm not trying to be nosy, but I'm sure this happens all the time and I'm just trying to learn all that it entails. I remember my son having to fly to Vegas to pick up his F350 diesel 4x4, and he also said that saved him about $12k.

Latest posts

Back