Toilet Tank Does Not Fill

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttibsen

Reaction score
First off - I am the exact opposite of a handyman but if there's a chance of avoiding a plumber's visit - I'm willing to try it. The tank has been flushed for the last time - it does not refill. If I slide that black thingamajig up or down the vertical pipe, then I can get the water flowing again and the tank then fills and the flow stops as it should. But flush - and the same thing - the water does not flow. Any chance of me fixing this without a degree in plumbing?

Thanks, John

Screen Shot 2016-01-24 at 6.26.50 PM.jpg

Go to the hardware store, spend $20 and get a new fill valve assembly. Simple job for any homeowner. Instructions on how to adjust the water level will be in the box. It doesn't need to be specific to the toilet, lots of universal ones out there.

Your water looks pretty crusty where you live. Often times you can push the float up and down to clear the gunk from making it bind on the side but as Matt said, it is often much easier just to replace it.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen - "simple job for any homeowner" ? - I'll see if you're correct and let you know how it went. Now if only I can see it done on YouTube?

Latest posts

Back