Leaking discharge pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care what code you go by but the code that I am under PVC is approved for the discharge pipe you can go to any supply house or Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a premade discharge pipe made of PVC

Just because the pre-fabricated PCV drain pipe is sold by no means makes it within code.

Think of it this way-

Your wife is standing close to the WH doing laundry. For some unexplained reason, the relief valve trips, the hot exhaust water melts the non code compliant PVC and scalds her while standing there.

Does this help you understand? ... :confused:

There is no argument, PCV is not approved.

Just because the pre-fabricated PCV drain pipe is sold by no means makes it within code.

Think of it this way-

Your wife is standing close to the WH doing laundry. For some unexplained reason, the relief valve trips, the hot exhaust water melts the non code compliant PVC and scalds her while standing there.

Does this help you understand? ... :confused:

There is no argument, PCV is not approved.

If pvc melts instantly from the relief valve tripping, ill eat my shorts. PVC melting point is 160 degrees celsius. So your relief trips at 99 degrees celsius. Just saying. Canadian code book says pvc cannot be used for domestic hot because it is under pressure. This relief valve isnt under constant pressure and is open ended. I see absolutely no issue using pvc. Personally i always use copper though.

I myself am unaware about what California code actually says but I've seen PVC used quite a bit for the drain pipe after the PRV.

Will it melt? Probably not. Can it melt? it probably can. Code is made to prevent all potential risks.

Not arguing here-

Most likely there would be no complete disintegration. Maybe just a pinhole or two. Water temp @ 210F and then hitting atmosphere, don't you think there might possibly be a scalding incident possible not to mention water damage?

Just because HOME DESPORADO sells them and you see them installed frequently doesn't make them code (or safety) compliant.

ADDENDUM (Fr For Addition)-

PVC has a temp rating of 140F. The T&P releases at 210F (WH Internal Water Temp).

CPVC has a temp rating of 200F. I remember reading some years ago discussions of the approval of CPVC for the discharge pipe. After all of this discussion, think I will personally stick with copper.

Last edited:
Not arguing here-

Most likely there would be no complete disintegration. Maybe just a pinhole or two. Water temp @ 210F and then hitting atmosphere, don't you think there might possibly be a scalding incident possible not to mention water damage?

Just because HOME DESPORADO sells them and you see them installed frequently doesn't make them code (or safety) compliant.

ADDENDUM (Fr For Addition)-

PVC has a temp rating of 140F. The T&P releases at 210F (WH Internal Water Temp).

CPVC has a temp rating of 200F. I remember reading some years ago discussions of the approval of CPVC for the discharge pipe. After all of this discussion, think I will personally stick with copper.

The 140 F rating is based on continual use. Those pre made sticks they sell at home depot are what come with some water heaters (at least around here) the manufacturer thinks its fine then I'm sure they don't feel like taking the fall if those were likely to fail.

But i will agree i only do copper. Just saying that pvc wouldn't fail unless that prv was constantly dripping. But if it was a one time thing guaranteed it holds up. If it was a weekly occurrence then i would agree that it will fail eventually. If it happens more than once there's a more serious issue which needs to be dealt with.

The 140 F rating is based on continual use.

Those pre made sticks they sell at home depot are what come with some water heaters (at least around here) the manufacturer thinks its fine then I'm sure they don't feel like taking the fall if those were likely to fail.

GOOD POINT! :D

stevemachine continues said:
But i will agree i only do copper. Just saying that pvc wouldn't fail unless that prv was constantly dripping. But if it was a one time thing guaranteed it holds up. If it was a weekly occurrence then i would agree that it will fail eventually. If it happens more than once there's a more serious issue which needs to be dealt with.

:eek:

It might be all the panty wadding is just disinformation. I searched HOME DESPORADO for details and came up with this_

Everbilt 3/4 in. NPT x 63 in. Polypropylene Side-Mount Runoff Tube

e0922059-eec6-4e9b-93d2-fd366fc71299_1000.jpg

Maybe it is not PVC, but polypropylene, which is compliant I think (cannot make out code book page photo- short eyeballs). Hopefully the plumber realized this where we didn't.

OK... Hopefully everyone can now just raise up a bit and pull their panties out. I'll buy first round...
cheers.gif

GOOD POINT! :D

:eek:

It might be all the panty wadding is just disinformation. I searched HOME DESPORADO for details and came up with this_

Everbilt 3/4 in. NPT x 63 in. Polypropylene Side-Mount Runoff Tube

e0922059-eec6-4e9b-93d2-fd366fc71299_1000.jpg

Maybe it is not PVC, but polypropylene, which is compliant I think (cannot make out code book page photo- short eyeballs). Hopefully the plumber realized this where we didn't.

OK... Hopefully everyone can now just raise up a bit and pull their panties out. I'll buy first round...
cheers.gif

Ah quite possible which does make sense.

And ok ill buy 2nd round haha

Thanks all for the very informative discussion! :)

look at ipc

504.6 Requirements for discharge piping. The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof shall:

4.Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
12.Not have valves or tee fittings.

During this period, unknowingly to us, he filed a claim with AO Smith regarding our WH, took off the serial, and collected the money
4. My wife and I discovered in 2014 that Al's Plumbing was on the local news identified as unlicensed crooks: plumbinghttp://abclocal.go.com/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=9154553

Playing catch up on this thread.

:eek: That is messed up.

Back