Copper Pipe Discoloration Toilet Supply Line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan81

Reaction score
My six year old son has a habit of urinating on the copper pipe and shut off valve to the toilet. :( The copper pipe and the shut off valve both have a green color to them and there is also ring of bright orange on part of the copper pipe (rust perhaps?). What needs to be done here to prevent a water leak? Will replacing the shut off valve and leaving the copper pipe as is work? Thanks!

IMG_4072.jpg

Your first job should be to replace that old supply line with a flexible stainless line. While you are down there, replace the valve with an American made quarter turn angle stop valve and replace the escutcheon. The entire job will cost less than $25, and after you tell your son to aim better, it should last for many, many years.

Should I clean the copper pipe after removing the old shut off valve and before placing a new one? How would I clean it, if I should? Thanks!

Some steel wool will clean it up pretty good, the orange is rust from the chrome beauty ring and the rest is just copper corrosion. Once you get it cleaned up you can spray it with a clear spray paint and it will help keep it from corroding so quick with new fresh pee on it.

Back