Delta Shower Cartridges

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caduceus

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
I've heard a lot lately from plumbers that replacing seats and cartridges in Delta shower valves doesn't seem to remedy a drip/leak. I'm sure somebody in the forum can share their experience with Delta and explain what the common mistakes or tricks could be when changing them.
Is there a common defect?
Is it often the wrong cartridge?
Let's solve some problems.:confused:

I think some of the issues you speak of may have been related to the newer style assemblies where the cups and springs are intgrated inside the cartridge.

I've really never had a problem fixing one, Just finding the right cartridge for the Right valve body and model. Especially for the pressure balance type.
When I install new cups and springs into the older style valve bodies I wipe a trace of stem grease on the cup.
If there is alot of mineral deposits inside the brass valve body I roll a piece of sand cloth and spin it in the hole that holds the cup.

Yes, the most recent call was from a friend who replaced using the new Delta with seats on the cartridge. Wouldn't stop dripping , but another replacement worked. Another was from a plumber who said the hot & cold stayed on, flipped the cartridge, but it still dripped, too.
Sometimes it's just as hard to advise over the phone as it is on the internet. Thanks, Mr. David.

I've heard a lot lately from plumbers that replacing seats and cartridges in Delta shower valves doesn't seem to remedy a drip/leak. I'm sure somebody in the forum can share their experience with Delta and explain what the common mistakes or tricks could be when changing them.
Is there a common defect?
Is it often the wrong cartridge?
Let's solve some problems.:confused:

There are several different cartridges that operate Delta tub/shower valves. The 13/1400 series cartridges come apart and there are seats and springs in the lower half of that cartridge. You can change the seats and springs and that CAN repair it.....but not always. The cartridge itself can split were the seat and springs install into the lower half of that cartridge. It can be difficult to impposible to see the crack with the naked eye......water pressure actually opens the split when the water is turned on......when you turn the water off and remove the cartridge for inspection you cant see it always.

This is not complete info but its a start for you in the right direction. Goodluck.

Thanks, Second2None. The more info we can get on the thread, the better help we can be when members have problems.

The most common mistake is installing the spring upside down. This allows the seat to move and lets water past.

Using off-brand parts is also common. Lots of retailers sell parts made for delta repair, but they tend to be made of a thinner, cheaper rubber.

It is fairly difficult to use the wrong delta cartridge, they are shaped differently so re-assembly shouldn't work.

A common issue in areas with hard water is a lime or calcium buildup in the housing around the seats. This leaves an uneven surface which is hard to seal, and may drip slightly.

I have been selling Delta for years and never had any serious issues. In the odd case where new seats and springs didn't fix the issue a new cartridge always has.

Latest posts

Back