Sectional Machines

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C35p

Reaction score
I don't want to start another sectional vs drum machine thread because I know there is tons of those out there. I have never used a sectional nor have I seen one in operation so I have a few questions which to could be dumb questions but I'm curious as I'm looking at the possibility of buying one. I get the concept of how they operate and that they spin at higher RPM compared to drums.

- how much room do you require to run a machine like a K60 or General Root 66?
- I understand there's some more set up required but time wise on a main line job how much longer would it take to do with a sectional?
- I'm aware they have a tailpiece to minimize the mess however how do you pull the cable back out? I mean they don't have autofeed like some drums are equipped with so do you pull it out by hand?
- are they ideal for basement situations? In Manitoba, Canada I don't have outdoor clean outs, so all my main line jobs are in basements from either the clean out or the stack, with some of said basements being completely finished, would this be an ideal machine?
- do you keep your sections of cable coupled and roll in into the carrier as you pull your cable out?
That's all I can think of for now.

On another note is there anyone on here that uses the General Root 66? If so would you be able to provide some reviews? How does it handle on root jobs? How does it compare to the K60?

Thanks

I use the Rigid K-50 w/ 5\8 cable for 1-1/2" to 2" lines
K75 with 7/8 cable for 3'-4" lines
K1500 with 1-1/4" cable for 3" - 6" lines.
All section cables

I started plumbing by cleaning drains for a drain company. We use the Drum type with a clutch that pushes /pulls the cable in/out. The draw back is when the cable head gets locked up on something and that the drum is turning a lot of kinetic energy gets torqued up in that cable. You have to let it back spins to release it. Sometimes that cable will twist up and jump out of the drum you torque it up to much.

You can get a lot more torque in the larger sectional cables and I have never broke one. Broke plenty of the drum cables. If you damage a section of the sectional cable just toss it.
If you damage 100 foot cable you have to cut and splice or toss the whole thing.

Little tough to work with when pulling a toilet in a small house.
I bring water heater boxes, visqueen, and drop cloths.
I can run 200 ft with a sectional.

drum cables are usually smaller cables and loose the transfer of torque to head much faster than the larger section cables.

Back