Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Thermostatic mixing valve help

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
dmichel

Default Thermostatic mixing valve help

Hi everyone. Thanks for any help in advance. I moved into my house about a year and everything worked fine. The last couple of days I've been unable to get really hot water in our master bath. The shower, sink, and tub all get warm but not hot. Warm enough to shower but just barely. The hot water tank is fine as the rest of the house has properly hot water. I suspect a thermostatic mixing valve, but the problem is there isn't one in the mechanical room near the tank, and everything else in the house is drywalled so I fear there my be one buried in a wall or under a floor. But this seems stupid and I'd have thought against code. Anybody have any suggestions of what else it could be or where to look if I'm on the right track.

Cheers

Old 12-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Mr_David
Easily Amused

Liked 871 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 577

what kind of shower valve do you have. Could be the mixer in that.
I would repair that first if you can't find a common mixer for the bathroom. Could be cold water is passing through valve even when iy is closed.

a.k.a. Krazedav

Old 12-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
dmichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_David View Post
I would repair that first if you can't find a common mixer for the bathroom. Could be cold water is passing through valve even when iy is closed.
Not sure the brand but it's fairly nice with 2 body sprays Integrated. Is that a common practice with all washroom water supplies going through a shower valve?

Old 12-12-2017, 12:48 AM   #4
dmichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_David View Post
Figured out it's a delta monitor with sprays. I think it has a built in thermostatic mixer but the documentation isn't great.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
Mr_David
Easily Amused

Liked 871 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Delta Monitors I believe are pressure balanced valves, Not thermostatic.
There is a difference.
The water supply to other fixture does not intentionally pass through the mixer valve but on occasion upon failure of inner seal may allow cold/hot to pass through the valve while it is in the closed position. Moen were notorious for this. Delta monitors ?? unknown if they do.

We used to check for this by shutting off the water supply to water heater.
if water is crossing over it will be evident when you turn on the hot water at a fixture. Should be getting no water from hot side. If you have a significant flow go listen to each fixture and see if you hear water passing though it.

a.k.a. Krazedav