Fleck 5600SXT water tastes bad

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaker27

Reaction score
I have a Fleck 5600SXT water softener, it has been installed for about one year now, last night it regenerated and this morning the water tastes really bad. Any ideas, or should I just do another regeneration?

I istalled the unit myself with no problems and it has worked fine for one year. I am not on a well, however the subdivision where I live is basically on a well with a water tower. I think I found the problem. After the salt tank filled there was another 8 minutes and it said on the readout, "BF", which I take it to mean back flush. For the whole eight minutes there was no movement of any water. There is a small motor and I believe that motor has failed and it is not opening the valve.

I take it if the unit did not backflush then we are drinking somewhat salty water. I have opened my bypass valve and closed the two valves on each side of the softener, also closed the bypass valve on the unit until I call my supplier which is a great help.

Would you please be kind enough and let us know your results. After doing over a year of research on softner I came to the conclusion that was and is the best softner to buy. I assume you have the digital head. Good luck

Make sure you have 24 volts coming from the wall wart feeding the head. The BF your reading could also mean brine refill.

Would you please be kind enough and let us know your results. After doing over a year of research on softner I came to the conclusion that was and is the best softner to buy. I assume you have the digital head. Good luck

If your still looking, I would prefer the Clack over the Fleck. Less money and a better product.

The term "bad" taste doesn't really help. It could mean a lot of things. If we are assuming it's from the softener then it's probably going to be the resin.

Sounds like it could be fouled resin. You may want to try something like a resin cleaner and see if it helps. Well water tends to have iron and hydrogen sulfide so it is possibly fouled.

Back