Dishwasher to air gap to disposal question.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dglenn9000

Reaction score
I am having trouble with my dishwasher. I checked the hose that goes from the air gap to the disposal. It was caked up with greasy water so I drained it. I stuck my plastic clean tool into the hole on the side of the disposal and felt it was hard and appeared to not be opened fully how I would imagine. Not blockage by food or foreign object but like it was made like this.

1) Is the opening suppose to be like this or is it suppose to be fully open? Sorry for the poor question. It's hard for me to explain.

2) My main issue is standing water after dishwasher wash. I have cleaned and unclogged all pipes/hoses. This all started after I replaced our disposal after it went out. Could it be the dishwasher pump? If so how can you tell?

This all started after I replaced our disposal after it went out. Could it be the dishwasher pump?/QUOTE]

NO. You installed the disposal without removing the dishwasher drain nipple plug. Remove the hose from disposal and use a screwdriver to punch out the plug.

BAD plumber!!
Bad, bad plumber!!

Go sit in the corner and think about what you have done!

Truth be told, you definitely need to make sure you get the plug out of disposal chamber after you knock it out.

Hey dear,

I'm not a plumber, but I understand your problem, for Dishwasher to air gap to disposal related issue I have couple of YouTube videos please watch it might be it help to overcome this problem

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmG2JXQL858[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoFkjWhtNG8[/ame]

Last edited:
I got bit one time over a disposal.

wound up with a dishwasher out of the deal

call was to remove /replace a dishwasher

so i did, then an hour later, I get a call back, washer will not drain

upon, investigation, the plug was in the EXISTING disposal

so i knocked the plug out,,,apologized over and over

for the call back.

which,,i really did not see as my fault, the disposal was hooked up
who ever hooked it up before me, failed to remove the plug