Honest opinions needed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I am requesting assistance on a potential upcoming project around my home. I am including photos of my billiard/bar room which I built as an addition about 10 years ago. I copied the woodwork (all oak) from the Marie Calendar's Restaurant bar down the street from my house.

The problem now is the fact that it is now outdated, and my son recommends pulling the oak off the wall completely, and paint the crown molding white. I've somewhat compromised by possibly eliminating the oak on the wall down to about 42" and changing it into wainscoting with raised panels, which will then be painted white. What do you guys recommend?

IMG_20110622_134440.jpg

IMG_20110622_134449.jpg

IMG_20110622_134504.jpg

IMG_20110622_134526.jpg

IMG_20110622_134538.jpg

That is a lot of wood for one room. I'm not really sure, but i dont like it when people paint wood trim.

So whatever you do, leave the wood, wood... :)

I like the wood. It does look to be that golden oak color which has been over done everywhere but I would still leave the wood wood and leave it all there. I personally would either sand and stain the wood a different color or maybe even focus on the brick and maybe change that up and cover it with that nice stone veneer which will change the look of the hole room.

I like it, I would take it a hunting lodge direction since you already have the wood.

Thanks. Another plan I also want to accomplish is to remove that huge TV stand and mount the TV directly over the fireplace, which will modernize the room and eliminate some of the wood, but will make that one wall pure wood, which I am really concerned will make it too much.

I'm probably way behind the times, but I still love lots of wood. The most important thing for me would be not to put anything in the way of shooting all the way around the pool table.;)

Pool table? You must be referring to my clothes folding / tax preparing / project layout table? Hell, I haven't pulled the cover off in over a year! :p

Mine started getting that way and I had to put my foot down. I told her that she had all the other rooms in the house and that one was mine. And I actually lived to tell about it. She must have felt sorry for me at that moment.:(

That wood looks nice.
It does make the room kind of dark, but it is your man cave.
I agree with Chris about the brick.
The wainscott Idea sounds good but don't paint it white.
Keep it the color it is now and paint the upper halfa soft neutral color. (NOT WHITE)

OK, while sitting in this room all day today, I believe I have got a compromise, thanks to Dave's reply. I am going to continue to strip the upper 2/3rds of the wall down to the unfinished drywall, and double up on the vertical rails on the lower panels, to match under the bar. I will then plaster the wall and apply a faux finish in a light gold/brown, but leave the wood stained, instead of painting it white. If it doesn't turn out as I am envisioning, I can always paint it all white. What do you all think?

Since the wife has moved out, I'm sitting here bored to death and need to do something for therapy to keep me sane!

I am a big time wood fan, so if it were me, I wood (haha) try to find a way to keep the wood. If I wood, wood you?

Could you lighten the tone of it somehow?

If that just doesn't work for you, do anything but paint it white.

The shelves near the ceiling need to go. Attach the shelved items you really want to keep to the wall at various heights.

Thanks Phish...the shelves are going for sure! When I built the room, I had an award winning police K-9 and the entire shelf was filled with the trophies we received at various competitions.

What was it's name? Any pics?

His true name was "Kai Von Slhlob Tratzburg", aka "Kai." He seized nearly $200 million in drugs, and another $15 million in drug tainted cash. There is a video on him and me which is televised about once a month on Mariott Hartley's animal show..."Those Amazing Animals", or "Wild About Animals", usually on at the crack of dawn on Saturday AM's. Some pet shops also carry his video which shows me and him "doing our stuff", but I think I purchased all of them and gave them out as presents to my fans. :) Yeah, this was about 13 years ago, so it is only a distant memory much anymore. He's no longer here, I'm retired, and it was a good moment in my life.

k9.jpg

Last edited:
That's amazing Mark. I'll keep my eyes peeled for your video.

His true name was "Kai Von Slhlob Tratzburg", aka "Kai."

I don't know why I didn't see this before I posted last time, but I didn't until now. That is a cool looking pup. Shepherds are amazing dogs. Congrats on getting rid of some of the bad stuff. You did get to keep the money didn't you???:)

Back