House from 1948 with busting hot water pipe.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LosAngeles

Reaction score
Hi all! I've been having issues with my plumbing in the L.A. area. My hot water piped busted.1st plumber estimated $550 to patch it or $2,250 to replace the galvanized pipe with cooper. The home is 2K sq. ft and I'm thinking of doing a major pipe re installation. What would be the normal estimates for this time of work? How much to fix the pipe and to reinstall piping? Thanks in advance.

Prices very in different areas. To give a proper estimate on a re-pipe the job has to be seen. If your going to do it yourself why are you looking fro pricing?

I also live in the Los Angeles area, and I will tell you something smells fishy with those price quotes. Make sure you receive 3 estimates from 3 licensed plumbers from the area and request written details on what is and what isn't included.

I got another estimate today and it will be 1K to replace 30 ft of galvanized pipes to cooper. I asked how much to replace all the galvanized pipes in a 2,000 Ft. sq house and he said around 12K but it may be cheaper with PEX. I'm in the Los Angeles, CA area. Does that quote sound about right? Is it worth it? Is PEX durable? Thank you in advance.

I know I will rattle some of the experts in here but please confirm that PEX is even allowed in your area. I know my city prohibits PEX, and I'm sure there are other cities who refuse to allow it, even though I can't understand why.

3 years ago, it cost me $6k to replace the galvanized pipe with copper, but that was only because the contractor was hurting and wanted to keep his crew busy. The other 3 quotes I received were all about $9k.

Latest posts

Back