Moving to a new area and need advice on POE Filtration

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traustic

Reaction score
Water Test Results

bacteria - waiting 48 hrs for results
lead - negative
pesticide - negative

nitrite - 2 ppm
nitrate - 1 ppm

pH 7.5
TDS 171 ppm
Chlorine 0 - probably because the sample was kept in storage for a couple of days until my water test arrived.

I was thinking about doing something similar to the guy on the youtube video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIanvbvj0PQ[/ame]

He does three 10" filters - 5 micron, GAC, 1 micron, softener.

If you go by the testing results it seems to me this might be a little overkill in filtration. What cartridges do you recommend for the water parameters?

I'm pretty stoked about the hardness level as where I live right now our hardness is 812 ppm. Yes.... 812. - I have used RO and bottled drinking water for the last two years because the water is aweful!

I need to keep costs low but want to advantages of a softener to prevent buildup in the water heater, shower, sink, dishwasher, etc - and filtration so maybe I don't need an RO unit for drinking water. I've heard from residents there is a smell in the water like they use a lake source but this was a sample I gathered two days ago.

Last edited:
Don't waste your money on 10" filters. And there is no 10" or 24" softener.
The worst thing about your water is the hardness. It's 47 grains hard and that's very hard. You will need a two tank softener just so you can have enough soft water to last a day. And your going to burn through some salt.
Are you on city water or a well?

Last edited:
I never said 10" softener. I said the guy used a 5 micron, GAC, 1 micron, and a softener.

My gpg is 10 at the new house... 171ppm - my current house I'm moving from is 47 grains. Both the new house and current house are both city water.

With 10" filters I could change them every month and have more filter options and cost less than 20"x 4.5 big blue filters. It was just a thought. The 20" filters should last 3-4 months minimum?

Sorry, I should have spent more time reading your post.

I have always dad a problem with 10 inch filters as other than a carbon filter for removing a little taste and odor, the rest of them are useless in my opinion. The softener would do everything those 10 inch filters do and much more.

Thanks speedbump. I'm not sure the need for the micron filters myself. I guess I could do a 20" Big Blue Carbon Filter and a water softener and achieve the results desired. Personally I'm a fan of RO water and will probably add a faucet to the kitchen sink.

The new house is a slab foundation and brick exterior with two exterior faucets. I'd like to run pex before the softener for both outside faucets. I'm guessing I'll have to run it through the attic.

You want (I would think) the necessary filtration to remove any impurities (determined by a professional water analysis laboratory) before they reach the softener.

A softener is meant to soften the water (calcium - magnesium), not cleanse it. It will only result in increased back-flushing, salt usage and media contamination requiring frequent replacement.

The above is IN MY HUMBLE OPINION... :rolleyes:

Thanks speedbump. I'm not sure the need for the micron filters myself. I guess I could do a 20" Big Blue Carbon Filter and a water softener and achieve the results desired. Personally I'm a fan of RO water and will probably add a faucet to the kitchen sink.

The new house is a slab foundation and brick exterior with two exterior faucets. I'd like to run pex before the softener for both outside faucets. I'm guessing I'll have to run it through the attic.
I'm not sure what a big blue would cost compared to a 9" X 48" fiberglas tank with an in/out head and a cubic foot of carbon. I think you will find that carbon cartridges are a lot more money than a cubic foot of GAC. But if you have city water, the only thing carbon should be needed for is removing chlorine. It will not remove Fluoride or Ammonia. There is a media that will though.

Depending on how much you use your outside faucets, you will save a lot of salt by bypassing the softener for them.

I'm not sure what a big blue would cost compared to a 9" X 48" fiberglas tank with an in/out head and a cubic foot of carbon. I think you will find that carbon cartridges are a lot more money than a cubic foot of GAC. But if you have city water, the only thing carbon should be needed for is removing chlorine. It will not remove Fluoride or Ammonia. There is a media that will though.

Depending on how much you use your outside faucets, you will save a lot of salt by bypassing the softener for them.

You know, that is a good question.

I priced IN/OUT carbon tanks and depending on their capacity/lifespan, varied from about 425- to 640-. I would also price a back-flush tank also as it will last longer before depleting the media.

A BIG BLUE 20" housing (the cartridge will last longer than the 10" model) is @ 40- plus the cartridge will cost from about 20- to 50- depending on what is wanted/needed to filter what.

You would change the IN/OUT tank or cartridge as needed (flow capacity or loss of pressure is observed).

-CARBON FILTERING-

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back