Pulling water from creek

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okmedic

Reaction score
A friend just purchased about 10 acres on a mountain that is next to impossible to drill. There is a creek at the bottom of the property that we want to pull from. From our best measurement, we are looking at putting a structure about 1000 feet away from the creek. It is also obviously going to be uphill from the creek. I have yet to check the grade but what would my options be as far as what we would need to pump water to that point?
There will be 2 500 gallon storage tanks, to start with, and am also considering using a tankless water heater.

Any thoughts and/or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all the replies. Looks like we will start figuring out the things we will need to build the appropriate pump and find the location. A well would have been way easier but oh well.
The place will be used maybe once or twice a month unless something bad happens, then it will be used constantly.

Sounds to me like someone wants to make shine... :cool:

Nope, not us. There may be some others nearby that do.. The barter system is alive and well on the mountain.

We are going to dig some areas of the creek so they will pool better on our part of the property. The creek constantly flows so far as everyone says and raises about 10 or so feet during heavy rains. The creek is more or less the property line, not that that matters much.

Another question, how far away from the creek can we put the pump considering we need to leave room for creek rise and fall during storms?

That's why I asked how deep the creek was. If it's at least 3' deep year around you could put a submersible pump in the creek and push the water wherever you want it. Pulling water is difficult, pushing it is simple.

That's why I asked how deep the creek was. If it's at least 3' deep year around you could put a submersible pump in the creek and push the water wherever you want it. Pulling water is difficult, pushing it is simple.

It's not 3' deep that close to the property line but maybe further down. We are going to try to dig a pool so we can possibly do this. Still working on getting power across the street and a road cleared.

I know this is an older thread, but wanted to post as to how this can be done.

Husband I built a new house and the drilled well was not producing sufficiently. BUT there was a spring on the property located about 1200 ft. away from the house and downhill from it.

We clear cut a swath through the woods to the spring, piped the spring water into a new 500 gal. concrete septic tank. Then used a submersible pump and pumped water up to the house. Lived there almost 20 years and never had a problem with the water or the pump!

The same thing could be done with creek water.

Latest posts

Back