help with clog between shower drain and toilet.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NonChalant

Reaction score
my bathroom is fairly small, it is upstairs, has a shower in the far corner then a toilet and finnaly the sink near the door. problem started a few dasya go with the toilet getting clogged, i tried plunging as usual and dint work, i tried harder and noticed air/sound coming in from the shower drain, eventually toilet water came out. if i recall we ran a snake in the toilet drain and replaced the wax and is now running fine, the sink was never clogged, but if we used enough water and flush the toilet then water will come up from the shower drain.

so we tried to snake through the sink drain, and cleared it out, but we have the same issue so im assuming the problem lies between the toilet and the shower, i believe the shower conenects to the toilet and then to the sink, which is why the ink doesnt have any issues, the snake we bought doesnt fit through the drain in the shower.

what do i need to do to get this back up and running?

thank you very much.

Your stoppage is past the shower. If it was before the shower the no water would come up through the shower drain when plunging the toilet. You need to pull the toilet and snake the line from that point. In most cases you will need a large power snake. It may be wise to call a plumber that has the tools and experience to do the job.

John

yes its past the shower, there is nothing before the shower. its shower>toilet>and sink. we snaked through the sink drain and cleared it out, wasnt much, same issue, thats why i believe the clog lies between the shower drain and toilet and before the sink.

Your problem may even lie beyond the sink drain towards the street. If you have a mainline issue... you wont see any problems with the sinks because the water will rise from the lowest point which would be your toilets, tubs, etc. Run the sink and see if the water comes up in the tub. If so have a plumber jump on the roof and cable the line via a 3" or 4" roof vent with a large diameter cable and that should do the trick!

i think we fixed it, sorry for the lack of update and thank you for your reply.

we kept snaking though the sink drain and also use a drain cleaner in the tub drain and toilet i believe it was called instant power by scotch corp. we didnt pull much out but the toilet is flushing like a champ and the shower drains super fast, so we must have pushed something through.

Now a days you can purchase or rest a Video Snake/Pipe Inspection Camera. Your local plumber should have one too.

next time just hire a plumber with the correct size snake, by doing what you did prop was a temp fix, a plumber would have uncloged that for less than $100... lol, im sure what you did wasnt acceptable if a plumber came into your home and did it, riiiiight?

i went to a guys house today and the kitchen line was sludged out, OMG took the clean out cap off and black sluge just came out like lava.. i asked the customer if a plumber recommened a jetter in the past, he told me he has never had to call a plumber cuz he would just shove the hose dont the drain to clear, lol, needless to say the cable didnt do a thing for this line, i jetted it but took over 2 hours total and -$395 outta this guys pocket... homeowners, next time instead of a quick fix, call a plumber... im sure after all those years of build up, the cast iron is rotted away...

I AGREE ONE HUNDRED PERCENT WITH THIS LAST POST!! LOL please call a plumber BEFORE it is a major issue. It is alot easier to clean and clear a slow drain then one that is blocked SOLID!!! I am a service plumber in Victoria BC Can we have many homes reaching there 100 year mark and older..... I have seen where these drain openers have eaten a channel right out of the bottom...... BIG BIG BIG repair!!!! all because they didn't want to spend a few bucks when it was first acting up!

Sometimes I wonder.... who invented that crap! And then when you think about it, it probably was a service plumber! LOL His $100 bill turned into several $100

Great post and to the "pros", you are right! The only problem is, in trying to get to the good guys like you all that hang here, there are many not so good in the way!

So I am sure that we commoners (non plumber types that is) are a bit fearful of making that call, times are tough!

Obviously since times are tough for all of us, we are all looking for the best fix!

My father in law, who is a retired commercial master plumber suffering from Alzhiemers, always use to say: You can pay me now or later! But knowing him, I know what kind of plumber he was.

So I guess this is really a whole additional discussion: How to find a good and fair plumber?

THanks guys, from a commoner!

Ask around, check references.
The best wont be the cheapest, and will be able to explain the problem and offer solutions. Be weary of grumpy trades of all types, People that suck at their job are afflicted by this although it would be unfair to say we dont all have bad days a good tradesman isnt going to stress themselves or you out.

Ask that any work being done be quoted, and that any extras be brought to your attention BEFORE the work is done. Again think of them as a teacher of sorts if you will, and dont be afraid to ask questions ( respectfully ) while being aware that you are being billed for the time ( Ie. If the plumber spends an hour answering questions about stuff reaalize you are paying for that time and consider it cheap education, most of us have payed several thousands of dollars in gear, education and Spent many un fun afternoons crawling prone through a dank crawlspace to repair your leaky Drain pipes. :)

Latest posts

Back