Sink Won't Drain. P-Trap is Clean

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

channelz28

Reaction score
my sink suddenly stopped draining. its not something that was slowly getting worse, it was sudden. the holes in the kitchen sink are very small, nothing big enough to clog the drain by itself could get through.

i took off the p-trap and it is clean. the pipes from the sinks are clear. it must be something in the pipe that goes into the wall. i dont want to pay for a plumber. should i try drain-o or get a snake?

How old is your home. What kind of pipes are you drain (Cast Iron, PVC, ABS(thats the black pipe) Galvinized?) Chemicals are never good for metal pipes and can eat the finish off the drains in the sink.

The line needs to be snaked. Don't use drain cleaners. Not only will it not work on a plugged line it will make for a dangerous situation for who ever has to snake it. And that is what will have to be done to clear it.

John

thanks. it a metal pipe. i got a 25 foot snake and didnt hit anything. i guess i will have to call the roto rooter guy.

OP,
Is it possible that the 25' snake is not long enough to reach the blockage? My problem with my kitchen sink is where the line goes into the main stack and a 25' snake would barely make it. Fortunately, there is a cleanout there and it is readily accessible in the basement. You might want to investigate that possibility. Is it possible that when you ran the snake it went up the vent stack and not down the drain line? BTDT.

the local drain guy cleared it for 20 bucks and gave me a great lesson on pipes, clogs, cleanouts, vents and all that stuff that i had never heard of. it was worth it just for the lesson. and it was just that my snake wasnt long enough. he had to use a 75 footer to clear it.

Back