Sewer 3" Cleanout pipe, but plug is 1 3/4" Would like to convert

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesolidman1

Reaction score
Hi, I have a sewer cleanout in my garage. It is a 3" pipe but the plug size is 1.75", it a appears to use an adapter or reducer. I would like to know if it's possible to remove the reducer and upgrade the opening to a larger size plug, so I could use a mainline snake with a root cutter. The cleanout is surrounded in concrete and pretty much flush, see pix.Thanks very much for any help!!

Sewer pipe 1.jpg

Sewer pipe 2.jpg

Sewer pipe 3.jpg

That is not a 3" pipe , but only a 2" you are looking at the hub of a lead joint fitting. Also not a clean out for the main line , to small. Probably just a lateral 2" line for a sink or laundry drain

images8KBZ2B1U.jpg

Hi, ok that makes sense as it is right behind the washing machine. Thank you very much for your help. So would this be OK to access the main sewer line with a snake? I was thinking of heating the pipe and removing the lead adapter, and then capping with an expandable rubber type. This would give enough room for a snake with a cutter. Thank you again!

What Mr. David is saying is that the fitting and pipe beyond the cleanout are only 2", so you won't gain anything by removing the cleanout adaptor.

Back