Dripping cold water relief value

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyq

Reaction score
Did a search but couldn't find a exact answer. Lots of posts related to dripping ;)

Let me know if my terminology is off. My heater seems to be dripping from the cold water pressure relief value. It's draining into the floor drain. Not a lot of water, just a drip drip drip. No visible problems with the heater itself.

I've attached a picture. Pretty sure this is no big deal, but I've got a new place and want to be 100%.

Thanks!

heater.jpg

I do have a pressure reducing valve on the main. I'll go get a pressure tester if I need to, what is a safe/ideal pressure range?

Why is this happening now? Wouldn't a thermal expansion tank have been installed during construction if needed?

I think I'm starting to understand. The dripping is a thermal expansion relief valve from the tank, not the cold inlet. The city pressure is exceeding the thermal backflow pressure from the hot water tank. So that's hot water I'm loosing!! Noooo, my BTUs!!

So assuming the cold pressure is in the 80psi+ range I should definitely install a thermal expansion tank then? Would simply turning down the heater temperature help?

Anyone able to shed more light on this? It seems like a simple enough problem to deal with myself, I just want to be sure it's not something more complicated.

It's really simple thermal relief valves such as the one you have come with a set pressure like 60psi, or 80psi. An expansion tank is designed to be set for what ever the incoming pressure is and allow for expansion from there, the problem arises that no one ever checks or services them. Your valve may not be broken, in fact it's probably operating correctly, I like to use those as trap primers in mechanical rooms because it stops the p-trap from drying out and smelling the area up.

They are required by code in some area's I believe back home, the city of Burnaby requires them, you have two options really lower the water pressure on you "pressure reducing valve" or replace that thermal relief valve with a higher pressure one, like an 80psi model.

The easy method of changing it out would be two shark bite couplings unless you can solder in a new one, when you do change it out remember to turn the power off to the tank at the breaker so you don't blow an element.

Last edited:
Back