Got a stink coming from the drain?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masbro

Capo di Tutti Capi
Reaction score
I'm in Indonesia at the moment and the MEP guys here do things a little differently. I'm in a brand new villa and from time to time there is a nasty sewer smell coming from the shower drain.

I looked at the drain below the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink and neither of them have any kind of U shaped pipe. The kitchen pipe just go straight into the floor and the bathroom drain pipe goes into the wall, but there seem to be other fittings that I don't recognize.

My question; are there alternatives other than a U pipe or P trap that they might be using? If not, then that's probably why I get the sewer smell. I took some photos. Does any of this look familiar? Can you tell what's going on from these angles?

Thanks for taking a look.

Dino

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

I dunno, BUT, we have a member that lives over around that area.
I pm'ed your question to him..his time zone is different than ours, and he works during the day, i have no idea when he will respond

looks to me like you do not have a trap.

buy a couple of the old rubber tub stoppers, the kind with a chain attached to it
plug the drain hole
th

Last edited:
hi dino,are you italian?..anyhow,in the first photo,under the sink,you have a siphon,this type is called "bottle",the check that you can do,is if the vertical pipe who goes in the "bottle"is long more than the quote of drain,in the second photo,you haven't siphon..surely,is better to install one..I don't know your drain system,but if you have smell from shower,probably you have a ventilation problem..a question,when you discharge the water,(from sink,toilet etc)hear you a noise like "glu glu"?

Another question,is there a septic tank or you have a main drain pipe over the home?

The first picture is a bottle trap. Here, they are not allowed.

The second picture, unless there is a trap under the floor, I don't see a trap

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it is septic. I've never seen a septic truck around here. I'm not sure what happens to the sewage either. I'm almost afraid to ask. I've plugged the sinks and put a wet cloth over the shower drain when I'm not using it. I'm still getting a pretty bad smell, though.

I don't hear any strange sounds, but will listen a little more closely when I shower tonight.

What is the purpose of the siphon? Does it help smells and odors from backing up?

the purpose of the siphons is for the smell..if you haven't the siphon,the smell comes inside the home..if the ventilation system,was made in correctly way,you should not have smell..you can have smell when there aren't ventilation (in this case you haven't the right compensation of air and water during the time of drain)or when the manifold of drain pipe is almost clogged..for first thing,I install a siphon under the sink (that in stainless steel),for second thing,try to take some information about your drain pipes..you have to proceed for steps..one thing for time..after if the smell is present again,we can make another reasoning

From what I read, Indonesia is supposed to be using UPC or something very similar. I suspect that the current setup violates the UPC.

If you are renting, call the landlord and tell him that sewer gases are coming up through the shower and that it is dangerous and you would like it fixed.

On a complete side note, have you tried the rambutan?

Back