Tub shower problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eergie

Reaction score
My question is i have single knob "temptrol" faucets in my mid 80's built home, I recently replaced my water heater and notice the tub baths valves are not working correctly. The one in the walk in shower has been operating correctly but now we are remodeling our shower so we are going to use the tub bath, as i turn on the water and turn it all the way to the hot side it starts to lose water pressure on the hot side. I notice the tub bath on the other side of the house is doing the same thing, but the hot water works on the sinks and walk in shower fine. Did I do something wrong when i replace the water heater? Or did both cartridges take dump at the same time? It barely has enough hot water to take a shower or to activate the shower.
Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Did you hook up the hot side to the hot side or did you put the cold on the hot side?

If you hooked it up wrong way that would be an issue.

Take pictures and post it. Visuals can only help the pros on here understand what's going on..

Whenever you disrupt your plumbing, there is a strong likelihood you have loosened sediment which have collected in your valves. You might try dismantling your valves to see if it is full of crud.

Whenever you disrupt your plumbing, there is a strong likelihood you have loosened sediment which have collected in your valves. You might try dismantling your valves to see if it is full of crud.
bingo, i just found some plastic peaces in my cartride.

So all is well now?
I disassemble the cartridge and found a little plastic peace that looked like the size of a half of a dime. it's funny now i turn the shower on and there's plenty of pressure and 5 seconds later you here a clunk and then there's no pressure. I guess there's another peace in there some where. Any suggestions into how to get this other peace out?

If it doesn't work you may have to back flush it.
One method is to disconnect the hot supply at the water heater.
Adapt a hose to it and send the water some place safe so it doesn't make a mess.
Cap off the tub spout and the shower head.
Make sure the the cold supply to the water heater is off and / or cap the open hot outlet on the water heater.

With the tub valve reassembled, open it to mix the hot and cold equally. since the hot is disconnected the cold will flush back into the hot and dump out the water heater supply.
That is, if the tub valve does not have a pressure balance mechanisim that will not allow the water to cross through.

Latest posts

Back