water pressure questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dethman

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with intermittent very low water pressure in the house, to the point where occasionally upstairs the shower completely stops. The house is only 10 yrs old. trying to figure out whether this is a problem from the main (southern California) vs something in the house. this comes and goes.

trying to figure out where the water is coming in and going out

33fdf15.jpg

2qcmrf6.jpg

that hose bib right now runs strong for 2-3 seconds and then slows down to a trickle. it is open full in that pic.

can anyone tell me where the water is (a) coming in from the main and (b) going into the house? adjusting the PRV had no effect.

anyone help or give suggestions?

The pipe coming out of the ground is probably the feed from the street. I would either take the PRV apart or get another one. That one is probably plugged up. Most of them have a very fine screen inside that can get plugged up.

That gadget in the first pic I believe is your gas meter. Don't take that apart!!!

The line coming out of the wall below the PRV is probably the water service supply. the one going into the ground was added so I'll bet that goes to irrigation. shut the right one off and check the house. the one going into the ground is not protected by the regulator.

do you have sprinkler and do the have plenty of water when the turn on?
That's because the are fed from line before the PRV. That's the big ugly thing above the valve.
you probably need to replace that.

makes sense the one going into the ground would be for the irrigation. had trouble figuring out what was going where. i will play with the irrigation shut off to see if there is a leak causing low water pressure in the house. thanks for all your help.

Back