pressure tank sizing question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredWalter

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a well located about 175' from my house.
I have a 3/4"hp jet pump at the well head, with the pressure switch connected to the pump.
I have a 25 gallon pressure tank in my house basement (175' or more from the pump).
(I have a small electric heater in the insulated pump house to make sure that my pump/etc won't freeze in the winter.)

I just found out that it is recommended that a pressure tank be within 5' of the pump.

I don't want the hassle of moving my basement tank to the pump house, so I figure that I'll just add another tank right at the jet pump.

What size should this second tank be?

Would a 2 gallon tank, that I can screw into the top of my pump (in place of a 3/4" plug), be ok? (This is the simplest option.)

Or would it make sense to spend more money and put a bigger tank in there, say one the same size as I already have?

The friction loss in the 175' of pipe will sometimes make the little pressure tank at the pump fill first and the pump shut off. Then the little tank will drain into the big tank, which makes the pump start again. Sometimes this happens several times before the big tank is finally full and the pump stays off as it should.

If you use a CSV before the little tank and pressure switch, both tanks will be filled at a rate of 1 GPM. This is such low flow that there is no friction loss in the 175' of pipe, and both tanks will fill at the same time.

Latest posts

Back