Pressure Tank Vs Booster Pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekuk101

Reaction score
We have a new home and are looking to increase our water pressure. We do not have access to city or county water. We have ran a 1700ft 1.5 inch line to a deep well located on the farm. Our pressure is fine from the kitchen and bath faucets, but is low in the showers and especially with the outdoor faucets. There is plenty of pressure at the well, over 10 gallons per min. I was wondering if a large pressure tank at my house could act as a storage tank (100 Gallon) and increase the pressure at the house. If not would the booster pump at the well be the best bet to increase our water pressure? Thanks for your help!

Your 1.5" 1700' pipe shouldn't offer any friction loss to the home. If the pressure is good at one place in the home and not another, that's a plumbing issue. If you were to put a booster pump at the well it would increase the pressure to the entire home, not just the bad faucets.

A tank will only offer the same pressure as the pump puts in it. Tanks do not boost pressure.

I would look at the plumbing, you may find some of the pipes are badly clogged up with mineral from the well water. If it's like a house I used to live in, it could have six different kinds of pipe from all kinds of different years of maintenance and some that used to have a 3/4" opening now has 1/4" opening.

Latest posts

Back