Well problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nates90

Reaction score
Hello,
I live in Iowa were the past 2 years have been pretty dry. I went up to the well last night and turned it on to start filling up the cistern. I normally can start hearing water going in after a few seconds, but I didnt hear anything. I put my hand on the PVC coming out of the well and noticed that you could feel the vibration of the well motor. I checked to see if it was getting the full 240V and it was. So I decided to pull the well pump up about 6" and stick my garden hose down to see if the well pump will pump that water back up. I let it sit for about 30 seconds or so and the pump started bringing the garden hose water back up. So, my best guess is the well went dry. This farm has been in the family for 100 plus years and my grandma said the orginally well was put in the 1930s. I also dropped a small rock down the well and heard a splash sound....So, I dont know what the deal is. I was also looking that I may have a bacteria problem that is clogging the casing so water can't seep in. I have not dumped bleech or any cleaner down the well for 10+ years. I have an in home filter and it always gets a black/brown silty slim in it. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I don't know what kind of well you have. It sounds like a dug well since your able to drop a rock and a hose into it.

Have you tried lowering the pump. If it's been dry for a couple years, the level has probably dropped below the pumps inlet.

I took the well out and the well goes down 87'. The pump was at 85' and the water level is at 67 feet. I talked to an old well driller from the area and he said that the old steel casing that they put in back then didnt have perferations in the casing, it was just open in the bottom. So he said most likely the pump is just worn out. He also said not to get it cleaned because the casing could be on its last leg and fall apart.

Generally the old timers around the area of your well know what their talking about. I would listen to him and go accordingly .

Back