Slow toilet/sink/tub drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otahyoni

Reaction score
My mom-in-law's bathroom is having drain troubles. After running the tub for a few minutes the drain line seems to fill up and then the water in the sink/tub will rise. The toilet also gurgles, as if air is being pushed out of it.

As a test, i flushed the toilet 3 times. The first two drained normally. The third flush drained part way then stopped draining. Listening to the pipe i could hear the water draining slowly.

I told her to call a plumber on monday to snake the line.

I removed the cleanout plug and was able to push a wire snake from there to the cast iron elbow, but couldn't get past the elbow.

I'll add some pictures of the drain asap...

Help please? Ideas on what could be wrong?

Thank you guys!

Here's my tip..... I'm not a plumber but... did you try attacking the bathtub with your plumbers helper - the plunger? Same thing happened at my house and that fixed it. Loosened up whatever was in there. You want to put enough water in the bathtub or sink to cover the bottom of the plunger, block the overflow outlet with a rag or something, and plunger up and down five or six times. The pressure might clear a clog and open up the pipe. Lift it up and see if the water drains away. If it doesn't, try plunging again cause it might have just moved the blockage down the pipe where it got stuck again.

Might not work but worth a shot.

Last edited:
She called a plumber, and even though my wife talked to her, she can't tell me what was in the pipe...

I'll come back when i know more...

Did you get a DNA sample so can you ID the culprit.:D

Roots mean a broken line. New technology can pinpoint the intrusion.
Have a pro with a line camera inspect it and pinpoint it so you can make a more informed decision on whether or not you want to dig it up and have it fixed.
They will grow back.

I doubt she'll want to spend the money on it... I think he just cut the roots out of it... don't really know.

Latest posts

Back