Single handle kitchen sink wont work please help!!! I took apart handle...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matmal

Reaction score
the sink just stopped working all of the sudden. The water lines are working, and the line from the handle to the tap (silver metal line) is free.

I unhooked that hose and turned the handle on but nothing comes out.

so I have the handle apart, everything inside looks fine, the 2 holes from hot/cold water are freed up, but the third hole, that sends the water to the faucet, has an orange plastic piece in it that must be the problem. I can twist it but it doesn't come out. anyone have experience with this piece? any tips are much appreciated.

20140810_144703.jpg

Last edited:
That is a check valve, intended to prevent water from ever backflowing from whatever water the sprayhead might be immersed back to the rest of the water supply piping. It needs to be in place and operational.

In the top of that faucet should be rubber cup seats and springs, are these clear?

That is a check valve, intended to prevent water from ever backflowing from whatever water the sprayhead might be immersed back to the rest of the water supply piping. It needs to be in place and operational.

In the top of that faucet should be rubber cup seats and springs, are these clear?

yes, those holes with the rubber seats are clear and flow (i tested with a hose).

could that plastic piece be clogged? the top of the unit looks fine, where the hot and cold mix (out of those holes with the springs and seats you talk about) but it doesn't get to the main faucet line.

Use a needle nose pliers and pull out the plastic piece you are referencing. Sometimes they get clogged with debris and need to be cleaned. If that does not work, replace that part, it is likely the source of your problem.

Use a needle nose pliers and pull out the plastic piece you are referencing. Sometimes they get clogged with debris and need to be cleaned. If that does not work, replace that part, it is likely the source of your problem.

Great thanks, Ill try to clean it, if I cant do you know where I can buy a new one?

Most plumbing supply stores should have the standard Delta single handle diverter in stock. I noted HD has a knock-off in stock, but I would try to find a "Delta" brand diverter. The part should be inexpensive and very easy to replace.

save yourself some aggravation and replace that delts faucet with something better. it will probably take more time to figure it out then to go install a new faucet

save yourself some aggravation and replace that delts faucet with something better. it will probably take more time to figure it out then to go install a new faucet

This is one of the few times I will disagree with "Journeyman". The Delta brand faucet you have is one of my favorite valve designs ever. They do not make them that good anymore. Fix it and it will keep working for as long as you want it.

Back