Leaky tub faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyb123

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My tub faucet started to leak about a week ago and it is at that point where it leaks no matter how hard I turn it. I took of the handle and trim but the cartridge is stuck. Any ideas for this type of set up. Also, the silver sleeve looks to me like a part of the trim but it is stuck as well.

One more thing, when I turn off the cold water from behind the plate it starts to leak at the point where I turned it off, does that mean that when the cartridge is remove water will gush out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

20140813_121929.jpg

20140814_182233.jpg

Looks like you have a Mixet (brand) tub/shower valve. The chrome retainer nut has to come off to replace the cartridge. Integral stops (water shutoffs on valve) will sometime leak when turned off because lack of use. Leave the integral stops on and turn the water off to the house to make the repairs --- replacing the cartridge.

Thank you for the info. It looks like the retainer but is one piece with the chrome sleeve. The problem is that it is stuck in there good, it will not move at all and I am afraid of busting a pipe. Is there any tools or recommendations of getting it loosened up?

Thank you again for the helpful info

the whole chrome sleeve unthreads. but i would advise putting a newer style valve in like a moen. you can try to use some wd40 and try to spray it inside. best and easiest way to remove is to split the sleeve and by a new cartridge and sleeve. u have to be really careful doing this

It's been awhile since I have worked on a mixet, But the cartridge has to be in open or mid seat postion to remove the chrome retainer nut.

Thank you guys for the valuable information. I was able to get the retainer nut removed without causing any damage. The cartridge came off but I am not sure if there is a piece left inside. Attached is a picture of what I took out. If there is a part that needs to come out from inside the pipe, what is the safest way to get it out?

Thx again for all the help

cartridge.jpg

The seat portion of the cartridge is still in the valve. Screw the removed portion of cartridge back into the seat portion. The removed portion has to be screwed back in counter clockwise. Once cartridge is back together graps the brass handle attachment portion of cartridge with a pair pliers and pull forward while wiggling and cartridge should pull out (all of it). When installing new cartridge, cartridge need to be in the full open position (usually they are in open position when purchased).

thank you. I did that and whole thing came out, it just needed a little elbow grease. I have the new one sitting ready so I installed it. That brings me to two questions.
1- The attached picture came off the old cartridge. When I pulled the whole assymbly out I found them sitting in the stem. These are supposed to be screwed in the back end of the cartridge but they were off and the screw is bent. What can cause that to happen?

2- Now that I have installed the new one in it works almost perfectly. To turn off the water I have to make it very tight and after all that it would drip once maybe every 10 to 15 seconds. Does that rubber washer and screw that sit on the back end of the cartridge need to be adjusted? I left them as is, and the instructions that came with don't say much, just says take out the old and in with the new. No details at all.

Thank you

20140817_130415.jpg

No u want to make sure the screw is tight so it does not back out like the old one did that is why it is bent is was hitting the back of the valve. if it still leaks the valve could be bad. i would highly recommend installing a new valve

Journeyman is giving you good advice, the valve body could be damage. Those mixet cartridges can be a little tricky to install as well. We stop carrying the mixet cartridge and switched to Nomix cartridge for mixet valves. The nomix cartridge works better on cartridge replacement but they cost more.

Latest posts

Back