Pump problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howington180

Reaction score
My water shut off on tuesday for a few hours then came back on now it has completely shut off again.

I don't have a pressure tank just straight from the well it comes on for a bit then shuts back off new pump and switch a year ago well is atleast 100 feet

my pump is atleast 100 feet deep new last year it has always burned the points up on the switch why is this right now it will come on for abit then shut off]

my pump is atleast 100 feet deep new last year it has always burned the points up on the switch why is this right now it will come on for abit then shut off]

Burned points on a pressure switch is a sign your pump is cycling on and off way too much. The next sign is when it trips the overload in the motor, which yours is doing.

Once you let all the smoke out of that motor you can't put it back in. You will need a new motor. And you need to figure out how to eliminate cycling or you will have the same problem again in short order.

I don't have a pressure tank just straight from the well it comes on for a bit then shuts back off new pump and switch a year ago well is atleast 100 feet

Unless you're prepared to have a new pump installed every year, get a pressure tank installed.

Chances are you have a buried tank by the well. And it's probably gone bad. This means you either have to install another tank somewhere else or dig up the bad one and replace it with another underground tank.

Back