Effluent pump failure (in septic tank) or something else ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaterPower

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a septic tank with an effluent pump. Shortly after the snow started to melt this year we began to have a back-flow of effluent on to the lawn. It took two months before the snow melted and the septic tank emptying company could have access . The person who came out asked if my breaker was on for the effluent pump. I checked and it was. I switched it on and off anyways to check . Still nothing. He recommended a plumber. A single apprentice plumber came out and told me that there was no power at the wires going to the effluent pump .This was determined using a battery operated voltage tester . He couldn't tell where the power source was near the tank.He also played with the floats but had no success.

He recommended an electrician.

The effluent side of the septic tank is now filling up just 1 week after having it professionally emptied.

Where would you go from here ? I have attached photos from my basement effluent alarm, diagram of wires , and what I think is where all the wires from the effluent pump meet.

I appreciate any help or advice you can give . If you wish for additional / different photos let me know and I will gladly post them .

Thank you,
Peter

PHOTO OF EVERYTHING IN BASEMENT.jpg

EXPLAINED PHOTO.jpg

Wiring Key Diagram.jpg

20140701_144807.jpg

20140701_144756.jpg

Last edited:
Can you hook up 115 volts from the house somewhere and run wires out to where the pumps controls are? If so, drag the wire out there and hook up the pump to see if it will run. If it does, replace the underground wire from that box to the pumps controls.

The pump is activated by a float switch. Only after power goes thru the float will it send power to the motor.

Has anyone visually inspected your pump? Have they tried lifting the float manually?

Seems to me if they sent one guy, the correct procedure is not being followed.

If your pump has a piggyback float, you can unplug the pump from the back of the floats plug and plug the pump in directly. If it runs, its the float that's bad.

Back