Combination galvanized and PEX okay?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockindiver

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to sell my home and want to invest as little as possible to do so. It currently has galvanized steel from the meter to the house and in the crawl space as well. Water pressure is low and I get rust colored water when I first turn on the water. Not good selling points obviously. I was looking to replace just what was under the house and leave the galvanized from the meter to the house in order to save money.
What are the odds that this will make a perceptible change in flow/color? Also, one of the plumbers who gave me a quote said that keeping the galvanized from the meter to the house would damage the PEX under the house over time due to metal deposits eating through the PEX. Any veracity to this claim?

In Canada we can't use galvanized in water systems. Pex is cheap at Home Depot. Buy a roll and some crimpers and bite the bullet. Should increase value in home and increase pressure. Also a water system like softer or iron filter might be needed to change water is bad. Lots of build up in galvanized too.

Also, one of the plumbers who gave me a quote said that keeping the galvanized from the meter to the house would damage the PEX under the house over time due to metal deposits eating through the PEX. Any veracity to this claim?

That part is total nonsense, BS and lies. Do not let that liar back in to your house.

Latest posts

Back