Replacing cartridge in single handle faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy

Reaction score
Okay, I have done this many times before but the last time I tried to do it I failed miserably and had to call a plumber. I know this is simple but last time I could NOT pull that darned cartridge out of the pipe after I took the handle off. I know to remove that retaining pin 'thingy' and grab a bit of the cartridge and pull it out. It would not come out. I ended up putting it all back together and calling a plumber, who also had a heck of a time getting it out.

So, now my bathtub faucet has a drip again and I want to replace that cartridge. Oh, let me say it's an older single handled Moen bathtub faucet. Is there any special tools I need that I didn't have last time that might make this go easier? What I do is use a screwdriver to remove the handle then I use pliers to grab a bit of the old cartridge and try to pull it straight out. Is there anything I should know here that I am missing.

Also, I have bought a generic cartridge. Would I be best served to return that and buy an actual Moen brand cartridge?

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas. I want this to go as smooth as possible and I am going into this very simple project with a little trepidation.

I am 'older' and a 'girl' so home repair projects are not my forte, really. But I do what I can.

They make cartridge pullers for moen, the old ones I've done I used the tool that came with the cartridge. The worst one I had, I had to put a long screw into the brass stem, put a 2x4 on the wall and use pry bar. But I'd try a cartridge puller tool first, big box stores may have them or plumbing wholesalers should have them

image-3787455763.jpg

This is the moen cartridge puller I use, works great

Just to add to steve's post. Return the cartridge and call Moen's 800# and they will send you the correct cartridge free of charge.

John

Seriously? Those things are kind of pricey at the stores. I don't know the model number of my Moen faucet. Like I said, it is old and it was there when I bought this house over 20 years ago. I have an old one I kept that I carry to the store with me when I need to buy a new one. I will call the #800, though. That would be incredibly awesome if I could get one for free.

View attachment 2930

This is the moen cartridge puller I use, works great

Well, I'll be darned. I had no idea they made a tool for that. Do you have any idea what they cost? I think I will have to get one of those. I believe what makes my self repair projects difficult is I don't have the right tools to get the job done. If you don't have the right tools, you are at a disadvantage.

Thank you for all replies. Any other suggestions? I'm listening.........

There's two types of pullers for moen depending on your cartridge that one is less than 20 the other is around 35 either way it's a great investment, good luck in the future

moen cartridges have a life timew warranty take cartridge to a fergusons and they will give you a new cartridge for free.

Just to add to steve's post. Return the cartridge and call Moen's 800# and they will send you the correct cartridge free of charge.

John

moen cartridges have a life timew warranty take cartridge to a fergusons and they will give you a new cartridge for free.

I called both places and neither will give me a free cartridge. I tried. :(

Maybe that offer is just for plumbers?

Thank you. I'll call again armed with that info.

They should send it to you. If not you will be the first that I have known of that didn't receive one.

John

ROFL. That would be my luck. :cool:

I will call again Monday and be a little more assertive. When I called the first time I said, "Can you send me a cartridge for my Moen bathtub faucet that's dripping." They customer service rep replied, "I can but it's usually cheaper to buy it retail since you don't have to pay for shipping." I left it at that.

Windy, if the faucet you have is 20 years old it's a Moen Chateau. I would't mention the age of the faucet when talking to Moen. The warranty states it is lifetime. The way we get the free cartridges is by exchanging a old cartridge at are suppliers for a new one.

John

Windy, if the faucet you have is 20 years old it's a Moen Chateau. I would't mention the age of the faucet when talking to Moen. The warranty states it is lifetime. The way we get the free cartridges is by exchanging a old cartridge at are suppliers for a new one.

John

Ah, I see. That may have been where I went wrong. I didn't know the model number of the faucet. It was there when I bought my house 25 years ago and at that time the bathroom had been remodeled 12 years ago. The faucet is about 35 years old and I told the customer service guy on the phone. I didn't know how else to give him an idea of what kind/model of faucet I had. He said I need the cartridge model 1225. He said about $20 in the stores.

Okay. Today I got a Moen cartridge puller and a free Moen cartridge from a plumbing supply store. I am going to tackle the project later today. If you all hear a loud scream followed by crying, know that it isn't going smoothly for me. :(

Thank you, my new friends. I got the job done this morning. It went smoothly and the bathtub is no longer dripping. And I believe it was a good omen when the hot/cold was right the first try. I usually have to turn the valve to get it right. LOL

I bought a Cartridge Puller but I think I'm going to return it. I didn't need it and I never have used one in the past. It only cost $15 so I can't decide if I should just keep it in case I ever need it or if I should just return it.

Good job! And for the cartridge puller, it might come in handy one day but its up to you to decide.

Yeah, I keep thinking that. I'll think about it. Right now I am unemployed and I could use that $15. I've never had the need to use a puller before but knowing my luck if I return it I'll want one next month. LOL I'll probably end up keeping it.

I'd take it back. It is just going to clutter your garage and if you are anything like me, I will forget about it and if needed again, I would end up purchasing another one anyway.

Latest posts

Back