goulds HSC20 underwater. Is it damaged?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseme5

Reaction score
Last night our 5000 gal tank overflowed. It flooded an area that housed an goulds HSC20 3 ph booster pump. The pump was under 5 ft of water for some time. At least a couple of hours. There are no fuses blown. The model of HSC20 we have is the totally enclosed version I think.

What will have to be replaced on the pump? If it runs will the motor bearings need replacement.

We have a Danfoss VFD and I think it cut power to the pump because no blown fuses were found. The drive was in fault mode. I turned off power to the system.

Last edited:
If it's TEFC, and real tight water shouldn't have gotten in. But if it did, the bearings won't last long at all. If it's ODP, you will have to change then very soon. Electrically, it shouldn't hurt it at all other than corrosion on start points and capacitor connectors. I think you said it was 3 phase, if so there is no points or capacitor.

How will I know the bearings will need replacement? Will the motor make any noises?

Oh yeah, it will be screaming if the grease got washed out of them.

I bought a house with a jet pump in the basement. It had been under water for a couple of months. It ran for quite some time actually but I had to replace it because it made so much noise it was unbearable.
Bottom line is that, if the bearings start to fail, you will hear it. It will probably fail slowly, getting louder and louder before it finally seizes.

Latest posts

Back