Indirect hot water heater.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spete112

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience and or preference with Indirect hot water heaters. I defiantly want to go with stainless steel and I would like to go with 80 gallon size. When I worked as a plumber we never had a call to install one. I have tried to ask a few local dealers and the first question that they ask me back is do you mean instant hot water heaters. LOL that was pretty much the end of my question there. I am all set up from my boiler to install one. I can't wait to stop using electricity for hot water.

I may have replaced a couple years ago that were used in a solar system.
But to install one to work with your Hydronic space heater I have not. Not to may of those systems here in Sunny Southern Calif.

Do you use you Hydronic heater all year round or will you have an alternative heat source in the warmer times of the year.
If your heater fails you also loose your hot water.

Thanks for your answer. We just bought our house a couple of years ago that had forced air heat. My Dad help me install hot water in floor heat with several zones on the boiler. We installed a couple of tees and valves so the plumbing part to tape into the boiler will be a synch. My boiler has a priority zone for a water heater that will shut off all the heat zones and will increase the out put to the max for a quick recovery of the wh. To answer your other question as of right now the boiler does not run in the summer. I live in northern Minnesota so we go from heat to AC very quickly. This state will not allow power company to buy power that is not green (ie coal). So electricity is expensive and will only get worse. The hardest part is throwing out a working 80 gallon heater

A circulating pump under said lavatory, with either a sensor eye that picks up movement, or a push button, that will activate it. Then a thermostatic switch to turn it off when it senses a temperature rise. This whole system is available as a package, no need to piece it together. The biggest problem will be getting power to it.

A circulating pump under said lavatory, with either a sensor eye that picks up movement, or a push button, that will activate it. Then a thermostatic switch to turn it off when it senses a temperature rise. This whole system is available as a package, no need to piece it together. The biggest problem will be getting power to it.

usually, typically, you have a light switch or a plug in next to the counter in a bathroom.

i suggest, fishing a line down from the switch to under the counter.

tie the line into the switched side .

so that the pump comes on when you inter the room and turn on the light

1610s.jpg

Last edited:
Typically your indirect will be installed with its own circulator wired into your control so when the tank drops below a certain temp boiler fires circulator fires on a priority DHW replenishes the tank then shuts down

Latest posts

Back