A Sharkbite question....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristinwilson

TheWilsons
Reaction score
We're going to be replacing our hot water supplies in our basement. Which lines are best used with Sharkbite connectors? Copper, the flexible tubing, or that PVC kind of pipe (forget what it's called)? We've been told that all three can be used with Sharkbite and we love the connectors and ease of repair. Just not sure which pipe to use for supply. Thanks!

Thank you, I'll check for it tomorrow morning! I appreciate any help. We went to check the plumbing in a foreclosure we're most likely buying, if structurally sound, and one of the supply pipes has a pin hole spraying water all over in the basement. So, we'll be redoing that house's plumbing before moving in to that one too! We've got a couple big jobs to do now. The new house is a one story ranch though and much easier than this two-family upper/lower we have. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Although I use Sharkbyte fittings in some instances, I wouldn't recommend them for your situation.

First, they are expensive. For the price of one SharkByte fitting, you can buy 5-10 standard fittings, more if you are using CPVC.

Second, the SharkByte fittings use an Oring inside of the fitting to seal on the outer walls of the pipe. There are stainless steel teeth that bite into the pipe to hold it on. The fitting can move on the pipe just a little bit, and every time it does move, water can seep by the Oring. I have seen this happen in the field several times. Also, over time, the movement will cause wear on the Oring, and eventually it can wear out and leak. Along the same line, if there are scratches on the surface of the pipe, the Oring might not seal completely.

Third, they have a release collar that will allow the fitting to be removed from the pipe if it is pushed in. I have seen situations where the collar was inadvertently pushed, and the fitting blew off with water pressure on.

I think that your best bet would be PEX pipe with brass crimp connection fittings. A crimp tool can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot that works on both 3/4" and 1/2" sizes for under $100. Crimp connections are relatively easy to make, don't require any wait time before you can pressurize them, don't use a dangerous torch flame, and are almost 100% certain to not leak.

I use SharkByte fittings to allow me to repipe a house in stages, connecting the new part of the system to the old part, so the residents can have water through the night. I also use them when making temporary repairs to old, fragile copper piping, that I don't dare to use a torch on.

Wow. Thank you so much for keeping us from making a huge, potentially, mistake! We thought we found heaven with Sharkbite, now we know it's not always the newest thing that is the best thing!

I agrees shark bites have gotten me out of many sticky situations.

Goods on them is they are UPC approved for in wall application and underground. Is this a good habit to get into... No

The bad is what phish said.

Over all they are band aids. You will be back eventually to fix

Latest posts

Back