Water temperature

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicahBS

Reaction score
My wife and I moved into this house about 2 years ago, and when we moved it we didn't nitice that the water pressure and tempeture are not very good, after a year we called a plumber and he acid washed the system and said our heating coil was almost totally plugged, the temperate and pressure were better but still not what I would call good, now it's a year later and our water pressur is awful and and the temp gets to warmish if you are lucky ( to give my daughter a bath I need to boil pots of water on the stove) so here is my question, how hard is it to change a hot water coil? It's a older boiler so I'm sure I will run into breaking bolts and what not, also I'm havin a hard time actually finding a replacement coil, my boiler is a New Yorker FR-122-W. Also I had a friend give me a Boiler mate inderect water heater, would it just be easier to instal that? Right now I'm looking at cheep fix as we don't have much money to work with right now. I am fairly handy, worked as a carpenter for 7 years and fix everything myself ( cars, computers, everything) but with this I really have no clue where to start, any help would be awesome. PS I took a bunch of pics of my system, however I won't let me post them from my phone.ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1414498761.593920.jpgImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1414498774.758369.jpgImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1414498789.793780.jpgImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1414498801.525868.jpgImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1414498816.230881.jpgImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1414498827.798352.jpgImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1414498839.757811.jpgImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1414498850.895967.jpg

-temp.html#ixzz3HRMOfd7c

How hard is that to do? Haven't been able to find any sort of directions online, if I can find any sort of directions I should be good, rebuilt the motor in my truck from a book.

I've done plenty of electric work, some heating ( mostly forced air ) and Some plumbing ( electric water heater, new constitution rough out, bathroom remodeling) above the average DIY'er

How hard is that to do? Haven't been able to find any sort of directions online, if I can find any sort of directions I should be good, rebuilt the motor in my truck from a book.

DITTO (sort of) Pulled a 460 engine and tranny( had others rebuild tranny) from an old RV F350. Replaced the main rear seal and crank bearings. Reinstalled them. Using a Chilton and Hynes manuals.
Give me a manual I'll fix it. most of the time.

There is plumbing, heating and electrical work that needs to be done. It's a lot more then a DIY project.

If you don't mind being with out hot -- I mean warm water for several days.
Do your research. make sure you have all required safety elements covered.

I am not familiar with heaters. Mostly natural gas Raypac units.

Last edited:
you wont find any directions. we go to school and learn from our master plumbers
how to do it. if you are mechanically inclined, can sweat copper, twist wrenches.
do control wiring and electrical work. it aint nothing but switching parts for parts
the hell you will catch is start up and bleeding, air bound and cavitating pumps you sound like a handy guy
do your self a favor
if you do it your self. have a tech do the start up
he will catch the stuff you messed up. safety controls aint no joke, carbon monoxide WILL kill you

Last edited:
Install the boiler mate. Not only will you have better water pressure but it will also save on your fuel cost I've done plenty of electric work, some heating mostly forced air and Some plumbing electric water heater, new constitution rough out, bathroom remodeling above the average.

called a plumber and he acid washed the system and said our heating coil was almost totally plugged, the temperate and pressure were better but still not what I would call good, now it's a year later and our water pressur is awful and and the temp gets to warmish if you are lucky ( to give my daughter a bath I need to boil pots of water on the stove)

I'm confused. I don't know a lot about baseboard heating systems, but are we talking about water pressure and temp of your baseboard heat or your bathtub? Or maybe both? Pressure in the pipes from your boiler wouldn't be much more than 30 lbs if I remember correctly (it's been over 30 years since I had a system like that) but the circulation has to be good and the water has to be hot. The pressure in your plumbing system needs to be at least 40 psi and higher if possible. If you have to heat water to give your kid a bath, we must be talking about your water heater. Right?

You had said something about a indirect water heater as being a option. I am not so sure anyone here is that familiar with these. I ask a question a week ago and did not really get a response. I did find some heating boiler diy sites that get into that a little more. In all fairness it is kind of a gray area who really deals with these a plumber or heating guy. Anyway for what ever this is worth.

Living in So. California, I have never seen one personally except for "This Old House" reruns from heater upgrades in the East.

When I lived in Michigan most of the Plumbers were So and So Plumbing and Heating. They did it all. Some specialized in certain things, but most did both. Some did just heating and cooling (not much cooling back in the day) some did just Plumbing. If you were in both trades, you had to carry two different sets of tools and you needed a much bigger truck. Here in Florida, it's mostly cooling, not much heating needed.

I am sorry I hope I did not offend anyone. I was just trying to make a point that he should look at a different forum for indirect heaters. I am / was in that group that I was referencing. I worked for my Dad and Uncle for over ten years in the plumbing and heating trade. I pretty much stayed in the plumbing side. However we did help each other out. In all fairness we really never did anything with indirect heaters. I can understand why look at the prices. Almost 2000 for a ss 80 heater plus all the piping. There are not that many people that would pay to have that done. It is a little difference when you do it for your self and enjoy the project. Having said that there are lots of them in the market some one is buying them.

No offense taken...just 'splaining why there weren't more reply posts. Trust me, many of our guys know their stuff, if it is the stuff they know!

I do not know your system.

your boiler mate should have 4 pipes.. boiler water in, boiler water out

domestic water in, domestic out

figure out whicj=h is which

boiler water in...hooks to the supply side of your boiler

boiler water out. to the return side

depending on your system, you need a control valve on the return side, with a t stat telling it to open/close

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
on the boiler, water out. is supply
water in is return
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=boilermate+hot+water+maker+piping+diagram&id=2BAE239AF4453B26882A2EC534BC36CEFE1C909B&Form=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=2BAE239AF4453B26882A2EC534BC36CEFE1C909B&selectedIndex=0

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back