Leaks after new wax ring(s)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie666

Reaction score
I have recently installed a new 1 pc toilet and have had some slow leaking issues a day or 2 after the install. The leaks were in different places (see Pics) so I assume I have done something wrong with the install. Also I have tried a regular wax ring and one that is 40% thicker. The pictures are in the order of my attempts. Last pic is one of my flange. Its an uberhaus 1pcs dual flush unit if that helps. The first 2 pics it kind of leaked on and off but very slowly as the saturation in the tissue took 30min to an hour. The last pic it was good for a day and when it did leak it leaked a lot faster. Saturation took minutes.

Toilet leak 001.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Last edited:
Are you using the wax ring with the black cone on it? I personally like them because it allows for better seating and lowers the chance that I will end up with a leak.

I should add the first few times I put the wax ring on bottom of toilet first. Now for the 4th time I put the wax ring on the flange. I guess I will wait and see. Yes I strictly used wax rings with funnel.

When setting any toilets one peace or not always make sure the wax makes contact with the bowl some times you can use the bigger wax like a jumbo Johnny and still have to use an extension the wax without the cone when placing the bowl down on the flange you hold it level has you press the wax. You can feel the wax has you push. If you press the wax at an angle it will deform the wax and possibly make a bad seal the also make flag extensions the bolt on under the bolts

My flange is a beer bottle caps thickness above the floor, so I used one wax ring. Yes I did feel compression and wiggled it gently down until the toilet touched the floor. Then I sat on it and wiggled around a bit, got some 30lb dumbells and sat on it again. Then hand tightened the nuts, and finished off with a wrench until the oval washers deflected slightly. Reconnect feed line to tank. Flush 3 or 4 times and check for leaks with tissue. That's my install process.

Just a question, did you confirm there were no hairline cracks in either the flange or the porcelain?

I put drops of red food coloring into the tank and bowl for a few days to make sure toilet wasn't cracked. Also inspected the flange and it looks good. Flange is a lead liner inside a cast pipe, which goes down it a good 3-4 inches. Lead flange isn't as smooth as a plastic flange but, the wax should take care of any unevenness I think.

Its been 6 hours and 12 flushes, I am hoping and praying as in past installs it has taken a day or 2 to show signs of leaking. The only thing I have done different 4th time around is put the wax on the flange and then put the toilet on top.

I had a theory that maybe the the rough in and or the toilet are so that the black cone isn't exactly on centre with flange so it creates a stress point that put a crack in the wax. Because all the leaks have been on the same side. Is this crazy or plausible.

What may have been happening is you were missing the center of the flange when setting the toilet, causing the wax to not come in contact with the flange at some point. By placing the wax on the flange first there is less chance of that happening.

Anything is possible, I guess, but I would be more inclined to believe the slate floor took away your depth, and your one piece base has a deep well on the underside. If it leaks again, I would recommend either the thicker wax ring or double stacking a normal wax ring, but only use one of them with the built in funnel.

Johnjh20 you make a good point, because all it takes is a fraction of an inch of not being in the right spot to create a small crack for water to slowly work its way out. To Havasu I have lino not slate in the bathroom, and the flange protrudes about a beer bottle caps thickness from the floor.

To all I thank you for your input. Now its a waiting game if my issue was not putting the wax on flange first.

Well its been over 2 days, and haven't seen any signs of leaking. Maybe there was something about wax ring on flange first that made the difference. Hopefully I don't have to come back here for this issue.

I'm glad your problems are possibly gone. I myself always install the wax ring on the base of the toilet to ensure a good seal on the high side. I guess I'll have to keep an open mind in the future.

I'm glad your problems are possibly gone. I myself always install the wax ring on the base of the toilet to ensure a good seal on the high side. I guess I'll have to keep an open mind in the future.

I also install the wax on the bowl before setting a new toilet. But in the case when pulling and re-setting a toilet for one reason or other. I place the wax on the flange for the simple reason it's very difficult place the bowl with the tank attached on it's side. Not to mention the possibility of disturbing the tank to bowl connection or cracking the tank.

Well its been about 2 weeks and it started to leak again. Its in that same general area. I thought I had it cased but nope.

018.jpg

You've probably considered this but I don't think I've seen this mentioned-- how steady is the toilet? Does it have any rocking or movement to it at all?
Sometimes slight movement can start to crack the wax (especially in cooler temperatures).

I think it is time to seriously look at the underside of the toilet and inspect for cracks. Are you using an oversized wax ring, with the built in flange? When in doubt, I will use one of those, and have never had a leak afterwards.

Latest posts

Back