Building a BBQ/Bar in my back yard.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I need to go and buy a Hawiian shirt :D and take pictures.

I have actually done some more work n the yard and will try and get some pics up later on today.

OK a little update. I have been very slowly working on the bar since money has been tight but I decided to go ahead and start the counter tops. They are made of colored concrete. Here is a pic of it as of this morning I am now headed out to pick up some plain cement so that I can make a clay like mixture to fill all of the small holes that were hidden by the forms. After that I will start the sanding and polishing process. Wish me luck.

19.jpg

20.jpg

That concrete top is fantastic. If my wife sees what you are doing, you can only guess what my next project will be! I have a question....Did you build the concrete forms on the ground and lift it after curing, or did you build them where they presently are?

I built them in place. I did it alot like you would float a counter top for tile. I used 3/4 ply, then paper, then metal lath and instead of a dry pack mortar mix I used Quikrete pro finish crack resistant concrete and colored it with Quikrete liquid concrete color. Now I am mixing up some portland cement with the color to match to fill in the gaps and holes. I am stil debating on just using some wet look coating for my final finish instead of sanding and polishing because it would be a bit more rustick that way.

Also I framed it all in and it is only 2" thick but I framed it to wrap the edges for a much thicker appearance. It was pretty easy and I think it will turn out ok. I or shall I say the other half have decided we ar going to put slate in below the counter down to the floor. This is what I get for previously being a tile guy.

Last edited:
I've seen wet look coatings sold by the gallon at Lowe's, and believe it is made by Thompsons. I'm also considering doing this to the 4' raised walls around the backside of my pool, but am worried what this would do to the tile and pool equipment if there is overspray. Back to your counters, great job Chris!

I have seen the Quikrete brand at Lowes but I also have not really looked into it yet. So today I mixed up a batch of colored cement to fill in the holes and for some reason as soon as I touch the cement to the concrete that I poured yesterday it starts setting, so fast I cannot trowel it twice in a row, but I did get alot of holes filled and have decided I will grind but not polish. but who knows tomorrow is another day.

Here is an evening pic after I filled a few holes.

21.jpg

That's fast setting cement! BTW, my wife took a look at your pictures and guess what she said? "I told you it's easy, when are you gunna start?" Thanks alot Chris!

That's fast setting cement! BTW, my wife took a look at your pictures and guess what she said? "I told you it's easy, when are you gunna start?" Thanks alot Chris!

HAHAHAHAAA... :D

Let me get through this weekend and I'll email your wife pics of our remodelled garage... and solid wood shelved pantry, and in the future... solid wood shelved walk in laundry room...

Lookin great Chris!

Beginning:
mancavegarageremodel031.jpg

During:
mancavegarageremodel002.jpg

After:
mancavegarageremodel7.jpg

Sorry Brad, she just got the remodeled garage last December, so that won't work. Right now she is hounding me for a new bathroom remodel, so please refrain from posting any pics of this...I'm getting tired of the "Honey-Doos!" :)

my small bathroom remodel is the oldest thread in the project display... I'll let you check it out there so I am not further hijacking Chris' thread... :)

Yeah, sorry for jacking your thread Chris! We are all just waiting for you to work your magic some more and post some new pics!

You damn hijackers!:) well I am about to jump back into filling more holes this time hopefully without much interuption and I won't even pour a cocktail until at least 4pm so I may just get some progress.

Havasu what city in So Cal do you have a house in? Maybe I will post some pics of some of the sweet bathrooms I have done in the past.:D

BTW why don't builders just drywall all garages when they build them? It makes tham look so much better.

I live in La Verne. As far as the drywall, I was (un) fortunate to purchase a home built right in the middle of the Viet Nam war. Not only did I have an unfinished garage, I also had aluminum wiring, galvanized piping, and not one ounce of insulation. It's been a constant headache removing the stupidity of the 70's, and making it a safe and comfortable!

Hey I pass by your place all the time going to Glendale to visit family. I am so happy I bought house less than fifteen years old, most of my repairs are upgrades not repairs.

I will definitly do that be sure to be listening on May 2nd about 7am.

Back to the BBQ here is my daily pic update, they only thing I got accomplished was filling in some more holes, hopefully this weekend will bring some progress.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Tell me if I am crazy but I am thinking of using this wooden bowl as a sink in my BBQ?

24.jpg

Latest posts

Back