Silicone caulk around base of shower door track

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgintupelo

Reaction score
When we bought this house about 17 years ago, there were clear silicone beads of caulk on each side of the track base and we had a new shower door (with new track) who also put down a nice bead of silicone on each side. Now, after years of use, the caulk on the bathtub side of the track base has a lot of mildew in it. How do I cut away the old silicone without cutting the fiberglass tub portion under the silicon? Is there a special tool for this?

Thanks in advance,

Rod

I have yet to find a simple way to remove silicone except for a sharp razor blade, careful hands, and as flat as possible on the fiberglass so as to not scratch it. You may find a chemical such as "Goo Be Gone" or similar, but do a test on the fiberglass to ensure it will not damage the surface.

Only the outside should be caulked.
This allows moisture to drain out from under the bottom rail.
Most installation directions that I have read regarding tub / shower doors have stated not to caulk the inside. You would be suprised as to how many installers actually take the time to read them.

I hate silicone hery hard to clean off if it made a good bond to surface.
if the surface was not clean it may just peel off

When we bought this house about 17 years ago, there were clear silicone beads of caulk on each side of the track base and we had a new shower door (with new track) who also put down a nice bead of silicone on each side. Now, after years of use, the caulk on the bathtub side of the track base has a lot of mildew in it. How do I cut away the old silicone without cutting the fiberglass tub portion under the silicon? Is there a special tool for this?

Thanks in advance,

Rod

We bought some caulk remover in a squeeze pump spray bottle from Lowes, worked great.

Latest posts

Back