Urine Smell after running shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lviola1000

Reaction score
After running the shower in the master bath, we notice a very strong 'cat' urine smell coming from the shower drain, 2 sink drains and garden tub drain post shower. This smell is only noticeable after one takes a shower. It goes away after about 1-2 hours. We have removed the ptraps under the sinks to make sure nothing was blocking them. Have also made sure ptraps had water in them. Also checked the plumbing vents from the roof - ran a snake and hose thru to ensure no blockage. Does anyone have any idea on what could be causing this issue? We have 3 bathrooms - this is the only bathroom that has this issue. We are on a septic system. This particular bathroom is furthest from the septic system. The smell is not sulfur-like. It is definitely a strong urine smell that goes away. We don't have any cats :) House is only 4 years old. This has been going on for a few months.:eek: We built the house - no previous owners. House is on a slab (Florida :))

Last edited:
Did you rule out leaks that could be hitting an area where some animal had been holed up and eliminated frequently?

Also, is the smell really strong, moderate, or just barely noticeable?

Try also checking the smell in the septic tank, before and after the shower to see if there is a change in there. Could the source be the septic system?

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your 2 cents. I've seen so many various posts on the internet with people having the same problem. Should have added that the odor also comes from the toilet. Not having this from any other bathroom. Will check the septic. Have also confirmed no animals. :)

Another thought crosses my mind: What about that particular bathroom having venting issues where one or more of the traps is getting sucked out or back pressure, allowing the sewer gas to bubble up on occasion?

Is the toilet mounted tight to the floor AND caulked. You have any little boys that might have an aim issue. HMM very Odd indeed ? Drawing a blank?

Shower > Tile wall and floor or fiberglass?

Back