Is a presure tank needed?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaken-n-stirred

Reaction score
System on a well (if that matters), is a pressure tank needed? Why? And if so, is it always at the hotwater tank?

I am guessing it depends if a backfeed preventer is installed, and or if it is required by code (Idaho)?

One issue is the potential for pressure build up as the water heats in you water heater. OK. But if this pressure is allowed to backfeed to the well / or well pressure tank / or some thing else I don't understand??? then you would not need a pressure tank for this ISSUE

Second issue is the well cycling on and off. I would assume all well pumps need a pressure tank to avoid cycling on and off, however I know technologies have changed and maybe you don't need such a tank ???????????

AND or would a well pressure tank function for bother purposes or does the typical placement of the well pressure tank make it not suited for the hot water issue.????????????????

Plain and simple if you have a well you need a pressure tank and by code you need an expansion tank on your water heater

System on a well (if that matters), is a pressure tank needed? Why? And if so, is it always at the hotwater tank?

Two different tanks. The pressure tank is for your well pump. Not a code issue just plain and simple you need it to have water. The expansion tank is for your water heater. Not sure of your codes but where I'm at, it's not required if you are on a well system, but required if you are in supplied water.

Does the pressure take have to be "ON THE WATER HEATER" or just on the cold water line leading to the tank.

I have a small utility room on the first floor for furnance, water heater, and maybe a water softener. IT is not a good idea to hang a pressure tan on the water tank, although I have seen it done, and I will have little room along side the water heater. Could I put the pressure tank on the cold water input side, but just down below in the crawlspace where the water comes in?

You misunderstand. The pressure tank is for your entire plumbing system. It does not go on your hot water heater. Your well pump supplies the pressure tank, which when supplies the rest of the house. It should have around a minimum 20 gallon capacity for your average size bungalow. If you are installing an expansion tank for the hot water heater, it's much smaller, roughly 3 -5 gallon capacity, and is installed on the cold inlet side of the hot water heater.

Even with the new vari speed motors and the constant pressure valves, a pressure tank for the well is still needed. The new technology just allows you to use a smaller tank. I don't know plumbing code but do know if your well pressure tank were totally waterlogged, an expansion tank on the water heater would be a very good idea.

My original question was poorly worded. I knew I needed or wanted a tank for the well.

So I guess the question is more related to:

Do you need pressure release for a water heater?

IF YOU HAVE A well tank does that service the purpose of the pressure tank for the water heater? (Does that depend on where you might have water line shut offs? (If you have a shut off between the well tank and the water tank you MIGHT be required or be really smart to have a separate tank so as to never be without pressure release if you shut the house down but left the water heater on.

You don't need it, but it's not a bad idea to have it. Your pressure tank on the well is going to cushion the system but a tank on the heater will provide secondary protection.

Back