Softener -new setting do I need to regen?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WellNeub

Reaction score
Quick question.

Fleck7000sxt softener. I upped the hardness setting by 10gpg - do I need to regenerate?

No. The way the head works is by counting gallons until the amount of water passing through the unit exceeds the hardness setting then triggers a backwash at 2:00 AM the following morning.

Why did you turn it up?

I installed neutralizer and softener recently. Had the water tested, it was neutral but still very hard. Maybe the first hardness reading was wrong. Will test again next week. I staggered regen times 2am / 4am for neutralizer / softener, respectively.

Staggering probably isn't necessary since the softener shouldn't backwash but once a week or so. That is if it's large enough for hardness and water usage.

Staggering probably isn't necessary since the softener shouldn't backwash but once a week or so.

That is if it's large enough for hardness and water usage.

(IMO) ... :rolleyes:

A water softener is not really meant to remove iron and magnesium, depending on your GPG of hardness, but mainly calcium.

Do you know your GPG of hardness (water test results)?

I should say that hardness was measured prior to the neutralizer and softener were put in.

Ph went from 6.2 to 7.5 so that's good. Now to the softener..

It measured about 300ppm before I installed the softener and neutralizer.

300 ppm is pretty common. The neutralizer will raise the hardness a little bit, but he softener will handle it if set properly.

(IMO) ... :rolleyes:

A water softener is not really meant to remove iron and magnesium, depending on your GPG of hardness, but mainly calcium.

Do you know your GPG of hardness (water test results)?

And yes. Large enough. In fact I sized it about 30% over capacity. I reprogrammed the hardness. Will take the water for a retest over the weekend.

If your soap lathers real easy and it feels like you can't get it off in the shower... It's working.

If your soap lathers real easy and it feels like you can't get it off in the shower... It's working.

Lol. This is what water in Texas felt like every time I visited. And yes. This morning it felt like Texas.

I'll still retest to be sure.

Back