1 inch copper union

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegp12

Reaction score
I am planning on installing unions on the water supply line of my backflow prevention valve so I can remove it during the winter to protect it from harsh winter temps and copper/brass thieves . My concern is that the pipe coming from the basement is only 5 inches long. Is that long enough to install a 1 inch union ? I know that I will have to cut out enough pipe out to make room to sweat on the union fittings. I will attach photo.
Also, Home Depot and Lowes doesn't sell 1 inch unions. My local plumbing supply gets $20 per union. Is that a fair price?

photo.jpg

If you are good at soldering you should have plenty of room for 1'' unions.

phishfood,

This device only prevents the irrigation system from backflow. In Missouri we are required to have these in the lawn irrigation systems , not the house water system.

All manufactures recommend removal of the backflow device in cold winter areas. They also say in the manuals to never blow through the backflow, although every sprinkler company I know of blows through the backflow when winterizing the system. I have had to replace the seals, springs, diaphram , and o-rings twice in the last 5 years and suspect this was caused by the compressed air.

Now I am looking for fittings that would screw on the 1 inch union (male end) and connect to the air compressor hose for blow out.

Last edited:
Mike, Buy another union just like you have, but get one with threads. With the threaded union you can attach a air compressor NPT coupler or plug. It may be hard to find a 1'' NPT coupler or plug but you can use a reducer bushing. Solder the sweat unions on the piping, then attach the threaded union male/female end to the solder male/female end and blow away. BTW what part of MO ?

Thanks IFIXH2O I wll look for those fittings. St.Charles county Mo.

Latest posts

Back