Cleanout Plug Trouble

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twind613

Reaction score
The brass cleanout plug in an old(60+ years) cast iron floor drain is recessed to the point where I cannot get a wrench of any kind on it. (any kind that I own, that is) I've tried adjustable crescent wrench, small pipe wrench, and vice grips...and nothing can get a bite on that plug enough to try turning it. I've read accounts online of people taking a hammer and cold chisel to the plug. I assume to cut it and split it enough to remove. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can get this brass cleanout plug out? Thanks.

Last edited:
Just returned from the plumbing supply house. They only sold a multi tool where the tool was inserted into a recess in the cleanout plug. My cleanout plug has a square that protrudes from the plug. The supply house knew of no tool for that style of plug.
Wondering if I could drill a hole and insert an EZ-Out, or if the brass would not stand up to it. Just a thought for now.

How do you just cut it.can you please be more specific with youre answer .remember he is not a pro like the rest of you.thank you

Thanks John. I'm not experienced and am unsure about the specifics of cutting this plug out. Do I just whack away at it with a chisel and hammer. or is there a simple method to follow? Again, thanks.

I have tried several ways.
Blast away with a chisel
or just cut into it with a sawsall
or drilled a line of let's say1/4" holes. then cut through those with a chisel. Now you can easily insert a hacksaw blade or a sawsall blade into the cap.

The objective either way is to Cut a wedge out. Pry out the wedge

BECAREFUL you don't drop it into the drain. :eek:

Then grab what's left with a pair of pliers and pull it out

Untitled.jpg

Thanks Mr_David. I think I'll just start cutting the wedge with a chisel and hammer. This plug is small, maybe 2" across, and not a lot of room to work down in the floor drain with a Sawzall. So...the chisel 'n hammer seems to be the way to go. Thanks to all who responded. Much appreciated.

I think, First, you drill a hole in the damaged cap, tap the easy out into the hole, and use a wrench to turn it as to remove. Ask the people at the hardware store to show you how to use it.

OK...I took the chisel to it. Started at the edge and worked the line toward the opposite side. When I had chiseled through the plug about 2/3 of the way to the other side it loosened up enough that I was able to pry a little bit and work it out.
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back