Discolored Copper Pipes From Insulation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just removed drywall and fiberglass insulation from garage ceiling in preparation for spray foam insulation and found some of the copper water pipes had some blackened areas. Could this be from the fiberglass insulation? Future problem? Also found some green areas on some of the copper pipes.

Green maybe just from the original installer not wiping off joints after soldering or wiping joints with flux after he solders. Inspect closer. If it looks like its seeming out of the pipe you may have a big problem. take few sharp up close picture if you want a better Opinion. Black? Maybe from what ever the pipe was in contact with.

This is not normal. Could be from open bottles of chemical left in room.

DSC01885.jpg

i thought from the info, it was just discolored pipe

That's not from the original poster. That last photo was mine. I THINK It was in a pool equip room or a janitor's storage closet.

This is not normal. Could be from open bottles of chemical left in room.

"Hello Mr_David",

That green Patina is caused by a a chemical reaction which produces `Verdigris` - probably caused by an extremely Humid atmosphere where the pipework is located - although as You mentioned there could be a Chemically polluted atmosphere within the room which either caused this or accelerated it in a Humid atmosphere.

The Flexible Copper Pipe is probably newer than the rigid Copper pipework and has not had time to be affected in the same way.

You will see this on Copper sheeting used for Roofing or Cladding - although in the UK because of the expense of using Copper sheeting this would usually be on Buildings that are either very prestigious / Historical or where Copper sheeting has been used as a design feature and the Verdigris patination is planned to enhance the appearance of the Roof / Wall or other section of the Building.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back