elevatorguy, with some questions about something I have no clue about...So be nice.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elevatorguy

Reaction score
Ok so if you have two toilets upstairs with 4 inch sewer out and a 4 inch vent up the roof then you wanna rough in a bathroom 8 feet below that in the "basement" and cracking into the main sewer then why do you need to vent that? I'm gonna do it right so not a hack but just thinking about it I wonder, is it if you flush the toilet at the time upstairs and downstairs. I just have been thinking too much about my project and know I need to run a new vent because my original vent 2 toilet one is 15 feet away, I just don't get the fact that the sewer line is still vented, the toilets above me have that 4 inch vent. So if I break in with a toilet 8 feet below in the main line will not that be vented?? I'm just perplexed, the only thing I can think is if you flushed at the same time it might be a issue? Hey rip me all you want plumbers I'm just wondering about this.

The main reason you need to vent the new bathroom is siphonage.

A plumbing system experiences both positive and negative pressures when in use. When you flush the upstairs toilet, as the waste goes by it causes a negative pressure, "pulling" the water from your traps in the lower bathroom.

Was that nice enough for you?

Elevators lift you when you are down.

Sorry I had to but yes what reedwalker said it needs to be vented.

Reminds me of when I saw a bumper sticker that said, "Elevator workers do it up and down." BTW, Otis Elevators FTW!

I've seen that one to, I have a good buddy that is an elevator mechanic in San Diego.

I'm not the only one waiting for the punch line....................

"Oh, business is going up and down!"

:D

The one i heard went:

How's the elevator business treating you?

Oh... It has it's ups and downs.

rotfl2.gif

Latest posts

Back